• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which 680i board would you go with?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eliteoneXP

I am planning on rebuilding a whole new machine and the only thing I can't really seem to decide on is which mobo to drop in it. I am looking at either the abit or the asus models but not sure which one would be a better option. I may do a bit of overclocking but overall I want the board with the best performance, most features, and most overclockability. I don't use the built in sound so I'm not worried about that part at all.

woca said:
imo dont get a 680i unless you are definitely going sli
How about if you just *might* go SLI? I mean, if you don't go with a 680i, you won't even have the option.

So...best 680i, then?

if you have the cash for a monitor that can run it and another card and you are pretty confident that you'll do it, then get it

i was gonna get one, then was informed of all the problems and what not

instead, im gonna get an intel bad axe 2 and 8800 gtx and when it comes upgrade time get the next great card

if you do choose to get one, i suggest waiting a little more and checking out the abit in9 32x-max and the reviews it got
its new and may not have problems the other boards have

Last edited:
lekyiscool said:
why not the evga nobody has mentioned it?

It is a good board, but certainly has its quirks.

I wouldnt recommend any 680i board without the need to go SLI. There are other good overclocker boards on the market without the hassles of the 680i chipset issues.

The EVGA board in particular is not a novice board by any means. There is a lot of crap to go through and figure out, but to be fair, there its been out for a while and there are many guides to overclocking it around the net. A guide doesnt garuntee an OC and if you are unfamiliar with a lot of the settings, it will become quite difficult to pin-point problems in a specific setup.

I needed SLI, and I was happy to tweak and play to get the results I wanted. With that in mind, I am happy with my EVGA purchase.

Well i would say get Abit 680i :rolleyes: since im getting mine monday 02-26 then i will be waiting hopefully only 2 weeks for 2GB firestix DDr2 PC2 8000 from buffalo backordered but i plan in going SLi sometime maybe at first just getting another 7900Gt just hold on for little while from what ive heard is a good board overall the revison corrected a lot of issues :)

I would definitely stay away from 680i boards right now until theyre able to fix all the bugs with a bios update or they get recalled and release a new revision. The 680i boards are plagued with way too many problems right now.

ASFx said:
I would definitely stay away from 680i boards right now until theyre able to fix all the bugs with a bios update or they get recalled and release a new revision. The 680i boards are plagued with way too many problems right now.

Granted, it has had its share of problems... most of which are solved by now. They have had multiple BIOS fixes for various issues over the last few months. It isnt like its just being ignored for a miracle BIOS release. Most serious issues are completely fixed already.

Happily overclocking my 680i: See sig for details.

Surfrider77 said:
Granted, it has had its share of problems... most of which are solved by now. They have had multiple BIOS fixes for various issues over the last few months. It isnt like its just being ignored for a miracle BIOS release. Most serious issues are completely fixed already.

Happily overclocking my 680i: See sig for details.

Looks like you're one of the lucky ones :) I've had a massive amount of problems and I only bought my board a week ago and updated to p25 with no improvement. I've got my 2nd RMA board coming soon and i've seen several people on the EVGA board who have already had to RMA 3 or 4 times. It's pretty sad :(

Back