• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Activated too many times?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nvidiaOCmaster

I needed to do a fresh reinstall because my windows got corrupt somehow. I installed on a new HDD and tried to activate and it says I cant activate anymore until I get a new key.

Am I screwed? I cant get .net framework 2.0 until I activate and I cant activate, but I need .net framework to install GFX drivers.

when i recently did my os over again it said the same thing i waited a day or wto then tried it again and it worked i don't know why but it did.

I would call Microsoft customer service and explain to him your OS got corrupted while doing a virus clean. If you bought new hardware, explain that to him too. More than likely he will accept your answer and give you new keys to activate.

Gunlance said:
Just call MS. takes 5 minutes. You get an isntalltion code to put in that validates your xp. Quite painless actually.
Agreed. I've activated my copy of Windows over the phone many times without any problems. It's really easy and quick.

One of the reasons why I cloned the drive after I did a fresh install and activated it. That way, I can always take it back to that point.

I never give excuses to the rep. Just answer the questions and it is done. If you add to the activation with excuses, it takes longer. Plus I don't think they care much about excuses.

I only had to actually talk to the rep twice in 4 years. The rest was a simple automation.

Call the telephone number, you don't even have to wait until tomorrow. The phone lines are outsourced to so many places you'd be *lucky* to have your phone call transferred to somewhere in America anyway. Just call the line (4am-5am, 2am, many times ;) ), they ask you if you have it on more than one computer, if you don't they give you a code and you're good. Takes like 5 minutes.

Enablingwolf said:
I never give excuses to the rep. Just answer the questions and it is done. If you add to the activation with excuses, it takes longer. Plus I don't think they care much about excuses.

Amen to that...they live half a world away, i'm not sure they care much what you are really doing.

I agree too, don't provide any information, just answer the question. Always say you have one computer to alleviate any further questioning. Once you have it activated and done loading your programs, I highly recommend you purchase a ultility program to clone you hard drive contents. I have Acronis 10 and it works like a champ for me.

I have done this before, but is there anyway to skip the annoying process where it asks you to enter your number over the phone to then tell you they can't activate your product key.. which then transfers you to a representative. I just want to be able to go straight to a representative because after every reinstall on my same machine I have to go through the same process and it would be nice to not have to read that 28 digit number twice.

Ever try to say "representative". I know alot of systems can recognise when a human is needed. You just have to prompt it.

The system may not allow anyway else besides going through the hoop first.

Ive been sitting here for 2 hours dialing the # and it says the call could no go through, every time. Is there anything else I can do?

You need to be at the point during the Win XP installation where it ask to enter Product Key and call this Toll Free Number. Microsoft CS will give you new product keys which you must enter immediately for this to work.

Im at the part where it says call this toll free number to activate windows, but the number doesn't work. Ive tried it about 600 times, ive even tried thier support number, I get the same thing.

888-571-2048

I dont have the Microsoft support number handy, as this IE window is the only one I can have. But it didnt work either, same message, "Were sorry, your call could not go through, please try agian later."

Back