• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Under $100 Upgrade, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueEcho

Registered
I want to upgrade my PC to enable better performance in upcoming games and the ones I currently play (Supreme Commander, F.E.A.R., BF2, GW:Nightfall etc) and I can't spend over $100.

With my current rig:
Abit AV8 3rd Eye 939 AGP Mobo
A64 3000+ Winchester 1.8ghz
ATI X850 Pro
1 (2x512) Samsung DDR400 RAM.

What would be a better upgrade? This 144 Opteron (I would OC) :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103600

Or add another 2x512 of Kingston HyperX RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144114

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Beau

A dual core processor will always be nice. But 1 gb of system memory is rather small for today's games.

I would go for the ram.

Or another option would be to save the money, and build a new rig soon. One with at least a PCI-E gfx card.

Yea ive got my proc running at 2250 mhz stable atm... I heard you can get opty's to 2.6ish on air.. wondering if ill notice the diff with the opty, or if more RAM is the way to go.

You can also get winchesters up that high. A good opty can get to 3GHz however. I'd stick to maxing out your current chip and then get some ram.

If you do get ram then I would suggest you get a gig stick with timings that match the others. Many have had issues running four sticks while others have not. If you do get 2x512 I would get the same exact ram as you allready have.

I'd get more RAM as an extra 1GB with be more helpful than 400mhz or so in CPU clock speed.

Definitely the ram. BF2 will load much faster with 2 gigs. And the CPU won't help as much with Supreme Commander ( just got the demo, time to upgrade! :santa: ) Ram is a great sub-$100 upgrade, IMO.

Back