• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to decide between 1gb or 2gb of DDR2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voigts

I am about to upgrade to a E6400 Conroe build in the next week or so. I bought 1gb (2x512- 5-5-5-12) of Corsair XMS DDR2 6400 from another forum used for $90 about 2 weeks ago.

Of course now some really good RAM specials seem to be hitting the market, and I am trying to decide whether or not it is worth forking out $165 AR on 2gb of Corsair XMS 6400 (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=85025-5) and just reselling the 1gb.

I came into a little extra money in the last few weeks, and so I could buy the 2gb, but of course there are always other things the money could go toward.

I am currently running XP Pro and plan on doing so for the near term, probably until the 1st Service pack comes out on Vista. From what I am reading, 2gb is really going to be the thing for smooth operation.

I lean towards just going ahead and getting the 2gbs and being done with it, but I am hesitant on spending the money needed for 2gbs (I always have more bills than money!).

So what would you folks think is the best bet?

Nothing like 2GB of ram to make a system scream... I say go for it... return the GB if it was a recent purchase and go with 2GB :)

EDIT: Ihear yah about not having the money... It took me 8 months to go from "Deciding" I wanted 2GB of RAM and actually getting it. I want the cheesy way and am running 4x512MB but if you intend to OC I would get 2x1GB

Only factor is if you game or use 'heavy' apps, like photoshop, video editing, or multitasking lots of other apps. Otherwise you'll be fine with 1gb for now.

I'll throw in another bid for 2GB. I know when i went from 1GB to 2GB the performance gains were noticable.

2 GB, especially if you play recent games.

If anyone else thinks you don't need 2 gigs, play Company of Heroes with 1 GB, then 2 GB, the difference is significant.

In my experience going from 1gb to 2gb of system memory was a great improvement. Mostly benefits gamings or multiple apps running. Can't go wrong with 2GB.

Well I only game occasionally, but I do sometimes get into sustained multitasking whenever I do website work. I'll end up with Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Firefox, IE, several folders, etc., etc., all going at the same time with WinXP.

My concern is more that later when I do switch to Vista, 2gb with Vista will be like 1gb with XP, which makes me wonder if it is really going to take 4gb with Vista to equal 2gb with XP.

Ok, you all talked me into it. I just pulled the trigger on the 2gbs Corsair and used the paypal checkout to get the extra $15 back. I am also influenced by the fact that the credit card I just got has no interest for 6 months so I can pay it off a bit at a time with no interest.

Good move IMO, regardless of brand choice. Photoshop alone is good reason for 2gb with XP or Vista.

The total at Ewiz for the Super Talent with shipping would be about $132. The ZipZoomFly Corsair is $165AR shipped. I figure it is worth the extra $30 to be able to run at 1:1 ratio. $30 isn't that much of a difference anyway.

Back