• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad board? (S3)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cradivonyk

I just put a new system together with the following specs--

Gigabyte S3
E4300 Core 2 Duo
2x512MB Corsair 667
evga 7900gs
LG dvd-rw
250gb wd sata hdd

I get no display on my monitor when the system boots up. In fact, I get no BIOS beeps either. I've checked the speaker a couple times to verify its on the right way and still nothing. I also tried using an old 8MB Ati PCI video card to rule out a DOA video card. Nothing. The only other thing I think it could possibly be other than the board, is the power supply. It's a 380W unit that came with the case I got. The video card requires a minimum of a 400W ps unit. I figured the board would still post with the old 8MB vid card in there though, right? Any other ideas as to why I wouldn't get a display? Also to note, it takes a few seconds for the cpu fan and chassis fan to turn on. Kind of like everything starts up slowly.

Last edited:
Yeah, well I dont know how its working now, but it is. I just removed everything and added stuff one at a time to try and find the problem. Nothing ever showed up. I guess something wasn't seated properly... Oh well, its nice to fix your own problems :)

cradivonyk said:
Yeah, well I dont know how its working now, but it is. I just removed everything and added stuff one at a time to try and find the problem. Nothing ever showed up. I guess something wasn't seated properly... Oh well, its nice to fix your own problems :)
Glad it wasn't the board - the S3 in on my list :)

Yeah, the board is nice. I think I narrowed it down to a bad reset switch on the panel of my case. If the reset switch is hooked up to the mobo, the computer will not turn on. I don't use the reset switch anyway so I just left it disconnected. Once it turned on though, the board detected everything automatically. Only issue so far is that it set my memory timings to 5-5-5-15 on a 3:5 divider instead of 4-4-4-12 on a 1:1. But I can manually change that in the bios.

cradivonyk said:
Yeah, the board is nice. I think I narrowed it down to a bad reset switch on the panel of my case. If the reset switch is hooked up to the mobo, the computer will not turn on. I don't use the reset switch anyway so I just left it disconnected. Once it turned on though, the board detected everything automatically. Only issue so far is that it set my memory timings to 5-5-5-15 on a 3:5 divider instead of 4-4-4-12 on a 1:1. But I can manually change that in the bios.
The way I understand it, the memory is programmed that way so it will boot up guaranteed - had to plug in a switch backwards (reversed) to get it to work for me - don't remember if it was the power or reset :shrug:

Back