• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to overclock the aw9d-max

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamie2047

Registered
Hi all i posted a message before and was asked to make new thread

i want to overclock my aw9d-max i have at the moment :
aw9d-max
intel core2duo [email protected] (stock speed)
geil 2 gb ddr2 PC6400 800MHz CAS 4-4-4-12
2x nvidia 7600oc gfx cards (sli in xp)
160g sata 2 h/d
7.1 sound
vista 32bit.
water cooling

i am running at stock speeds and would like to see what it can do but dont have a clue how to do it. i think it is more than capable of going to at least 3g.

Looks like you have a nice system. Oh yeah, you should be able to get a nice O/C out of that beast.

Enter the BIOS by pressing the "delete" key when the system first boots up. Click on the "uGuru Utility" on the BIOS menu page. This is where you'll do the overclocking. RAM timings are on another menu, but don't worry about that right now.

Set the "CPU Operating Speed" to "User Define" which allows manual adjustment to all the options below.

"External Clock" is the FSB or CPU frequency. Default for an E6400 is 267MHz, but the Abit BIOS usually sets 272MHz for a factory overclock.

"Multiplier Factor" should already be set to "X 8" which is default, just leave that alone.

"Estimated New CPU Clock" is grayed out and can't be adjusted. It just shows you the estimated CPU clock speed for your current settings.

Set the "N/B Strap CPU As" to "PSB1066" for Core 2 Duo processors.

For now, set the "DRAM Spec. (CPU : DRAM)" to "DDR2 533 (1:1)" This is how you set the memory ratio. Setting this to 1:1 for now will make sure the RAM isn't holding you back when you try to find your system limits.

"Estimated New DRAM Clock" is grayed out and can't be adjusted. It just shows you the estimated memory speed for your current settings.

Set the "Voltages Control" to "User define" which allows manual voltage adjustments to the options below.

Set the "CPU Core Voltage" to "1.350 V" which should get you a long ways when you start overclocking. Normally I tell people to leave this at default at first, but since you are watercooled, it should be ok.

Set the "DDR SDRAM Voltage" to 1.90 V" or "2.00 V" which will prevent boot problems due to RAM.

Set the "MCH & PCIe 1.5V Voltage" to "1.55 V" which will assure you can do the FSB that will get you to 3 gig.

FINALLY, you are ready to start overclocking. Set the "External Clock" to "280MHz" and then press "F10" to save the BIOS settings. This should overclock your system to 2.24 gig. Once you're in Windows, load the system to test stability and check temps in uGuru.

Congrats, you are overclocked. If everything is ok, go back into the BIOS and try another 5 MHz increment of FSB. Save the BIOS settings, start Windows, test for stability, and check temps. Repeat.

Last edited:
What he said ^^^

I would say with that set up you should be fine for 3.2ghz 24/7 and with some luck and a fan over your n/b maybe even 3.4 (may have to update your bios as well) but more on that later.

Post back and let us know how your getting on in this thread, but do note we dont all live in your time zone, your last post in this thread for me was at 4:34am 14 Feb and I was still in bed, but we will be along in time

Hi i made it back :) this is what happened i did everything you said in the list i set the external clock speed to 280mhz pressed f10 and rebooted. Pc comes on lovely but there is no change it still say @2.13ghz so i went back into bios and uped it to 285mhz and restarted now windows shows it as 1.17 mhz:confused: any ideas and should i put it back for now.
Thanks peeps.

Hi all ok my power options tell me i am on balanced and i changed it to performance and here we go

ok still no joy but one thing i noticed in xp32bit it tells me 1.17mhz but in vista64bit it tells me the stock 2.13mhz:cry:

little update for yas cpuz say core speed is 2238.4mhz so i guessing it had overclocked but it wont show the m/b or memory spd or any of the others and not much info on cpu either

Last edited:
Ok if we only talk about vista 64 for now and we will come back to XP.

Vista 64 on this board and that bios will not read your OC even though it is OC'ed, cpu-z is reading your speed right but at this time it will not show the other info under 64bit.
Sooo all is good 280X8 = 2240mhz so you have done you first OC, well done.
Now keep upping the fsb 5 mhz a time till you get to 380fsb or it wont boot.

If you havent all ready down load Uguru, 3101 from here.

This does work with 64bit vista and will show you your temps, fsb etc.

Dont install any other uguru onto vista.

Hi i got up to 2.8 so far and ran prime 95 for 3 hours and no errors i have since been told that prime is not suitable for dual core.Do anyone know of a prog and works with vista64bit?
also how can i keep a eye on the temp of NB i dont seem to be able to find it in guru?.

And i have to say guys BIG Thanks for all ya help:) :beer:

just ran battlefield2142 and got blue error screen of death at point of play

Last edited:
There is no N/B temp. Just make sure the system temp doesn't start going above 40 degrees. If so, that means you need to improve case ventilation.

Prime will give you a good idea of stability. Orthos is probably better. Ypour Battlefield 2142 is also a good indicator of stability. It just told you that you aren't stable. Of course, that could mean your vid card got too hot. But, it might also mean you need another bump in vcore.

Ihave sorted the bf prob out with a v core volt to 1.6 and a reinstall (thanks) and ran prime95 for 3 hour and no probs and my system temp is at 42c could a fan be used near the NB heatsink to try cooling it ??. i better not go no higher for now till i can sort the temp out abit had i?

Hold on there pardner! Vcore of 1.6v is way too high for this situation. Try starting out with 1.4v instead and go from there.

What do you have for case ventilation? How many intake and exhaust fans?

sorry dude it was 1.350v i was looking at the wrong one i have 2fans at front of case intake 2 on side of case intake onto m/b 1 at top of case exhaust. and me rad that draws though case on the back of case

Whew. Anyway, if you plan to go higher, 1.4v should be no problem

Case cooling looks good. Not sure why your system temp is that high. Make sure all the cables and wires are neatly tucked out of the way so they don't block air flow. The rear fans blow out of the case through the radiator, right? If I'm reading that right, you have 2 front intake fans, 2 side intakes, 1 top exhaust, and 2 rear exhaust fans. That should be ok.

Hi yep that is correct the sys temp is not going no higher no even in games or stress testing i got the prog called occtpt which say i am stable to. Tonight i am going to try 2142 and make that runs ok and try again in the morning for abit more.

I see things are going well here.

Can I ask what your cpu temps are ? with that many fans your system temp does look high. how hot is it where you live ?

Each to there own, but for me I wont for 24/7 use go over 1.52 volts and the temps must stay under 60c loaded

Your looking good to get 3ghz with 1.4 volts or less, when you get near to 3.2 you may need to bump your mch up a little.

For stability use Orthos it works fine under 64bit, some game stability could be a bit hit or miss even if your OC is stable the nVidia drivers are not. they are doing my head in :bang head

Last edited:
Back