• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recomendations for general utility for defrag, virus scanner, registry fixer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

videobruce

I have been using System Suite (now from VCom) for the past 5 years, but they have made some changes in V7 I don't like, but still haven't fixed issues from years ago. I'm looking for a replacement for at least these tasks;

1. Defrag program,
2. Virus scanner,
3. Registry repair,
4. Disc repair

Those are my main uses. The Virus definations/updates should be included with free updates (as with System Suite from TrendMicro), not like Norton where you have to pay a yearly sub fee. I have seen/used PC Mechanic (I believe that was the name) and that was really lame. Way too simple and ineffective especially for the defrag program.

I would perfer one program instead of one for each task. And one that isn't bloated as in Norton.
Suggestions??

I can't recommend a suite that covers all these functions. Generally these all-in-one suites are bloated, and generally don't perform any specific task particularly well.

However, I can recommend apps that I use that perform their specific tasks exceptionally well and do it without burdening your resources, here we go:
1. Defrag: O&O Defrag Professional (there are other equally good defrag apps out there, but this is the one I use)
2. Virus Scanner: NOD32, this is a no contest, this is the BEST anti-virus available.
3. Registry Repair: I still use RegCleaner, old but it gets the job done, is also freeware
4. Disk Repair: There is no competition here either, the king of disk checking and repair is SpinRite.

Hope this helps,
triga

O&O I have heard of before, but that NOD32 I haven't. Others suggested Kapersky or AVG for antivirus. That Spinrite is a little on the pricey side.
Thanks for the input, any others?

videobruce said:
I have been using System Suite (now from VCom) for the past 5 years, but they have made some changes in V7 I don't like, but still haven't fixed issues from years ago. I'm looking for a replacement for at least these tasks;

1. Defrag program,
2. Virus scanner,
3. Registry repair,
4. Disc repair

Those are my main uses. The Virus definations/updates should be included with free updates (as with System Suite from TrendMicro), not like Norton where you have to pay a yearly sub fee. I have seen/used PC Mechanic (I believe that was the name) and that was really lame. Way too simple and ineffective especially for the defrag program.

I would perfer one program instead of one for each task. And one that isn't bloated as in Norton.
Suggestions??

The defrag that comes with Windows works just fine. Have used Disk Keeper and am not impressed, Windows defrag is just as good (IMO).

I have used Spinrite for many years, it is the best but not free.

RollingThunder said:
Have used Disk Keeper and am not impressed, Windows defrag is just as good (IMO)
1. The only features I really like with Diskkeeper are boot-time defrag runs, scheduling, and being able to manually pad the frag-shield keeping fragmentation down noticeably on a couple of my partitions (where I had the space to do so).

I usually use O&O. It's a much more thorough program and it can defrag and rearrange all the files on the volume by name/last-accessed/etc. whereas diskkeeper and the default XP version just do a standard defrag run.

Additionally, using O&O with under 15% of drive space left isn't that much of an issue compared to the other two. It'll take longer but it'll do it.

3. Registry cleaner: I usually use RegSeeker if I need to delete something manually from the registry, but I've never tried out any cleaning functions... used the CCleaner registry checker once and fried a system so I haven't messed with them since.

1. Diskeeper lite -freeware
2. AVG -freeware
3. Regscrub XP -freeware
4. command prompt chkdsk C: /v /x /r

Why pay at all?

Back