• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help on RAM Timings!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T-Virus

Disabled
Hey, as you all probably know i'm failry knew to the forums! Anyway besides that, I have a small question which requires honest opinions!

Right, after booting up my computer today, i went into BIOS to change a few temparture settings while i noticed my RAM timings were 5-5-5-15? Regardless to the price which is £350. Am i able to get away with the timing 4-4-4-12 safely without causing damage, if so is it worth it? Thanks in return and your advice is much appreciated.:beer: .

yeah manually set the ram to 4.4.4.12 then run mem test 86+ for a few hours if there are no errors "waa laa"

No it does not spoil the ram, if it can run at 4.4.4.12 you are just lucky it was binned as 5.5.5.15.

Mycobacteria said:
yeah manually set the ram to 4.4.4.12 then run mem test 86+ for a few hours if there are no errors "waa laa"

No it does not spoil the ram, if it can run at 4.4.4.12 you are just lucky it was binned as 5.5.5.15.

Thanks for reply! What's the worst that can happen if i set it to 4-4-4-12? Thanks allot in return:beer: .

Last edited:
I honestly doubt the ram will die (need a 2nd opnion)... however if you set the times way to low your system will become very unstable with random re-boots, files that dont get accessed properly etc etc.

You will NOT get a massive massive preformance gains from shifting from 5.5.5.15 to 4.4.4.12. Maybe you will notice a slightly more responsive PC but you wont really notice much of a difference in games.

Mycobacteria said:
I honestly doubt the ram will die (need a 2nd opnion)... however if you set the times way to low your system will become very unstable with random re-boots, files that dont get accessed properly etc etc.

You will NOT get a massive massive preformance gains from shifting from 5.5.5.15 to 4.4.4.12. Maybe you will notice a slightly more responsive PC but you wont really notice much of a difference in games.

Right you've got me calm about doing it so i will do so soon. Shall i set the ratio to 1:1 as it's 4:1 now? What about the voltage, shll i up that slightly? Say 2.2V? Thanks allot for your help :).

While I'm in no way, shape or form an expert on memory, I'd say try without raising the voltages, and if it doesn't work, then try raising them.

Back