• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remove password from RAR file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oroka Sempai

I have the password for the file (actually 180+), but I want to remove the password from the RAR files.

I searched google, but all I get is pages hawking crappy russian password crackers.

Any one have any ideas?

There's obvious reasons we probably shouldn't discuss cracking passwords here. The information used to help you could be used by someone to open rar files that they're not supposed to be able to.

There does not appear to be a means of resetting the password once set on the rar file, so you have to extract and create a new archive.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be too hard to write a shell script to do it. Just a few simple foreach commands, assuming you have access to some kind of a unix/linux/bsd type of machine.

Oroka Sempai said:
As I stated in the first post, I HAVE THE PASSWORDS, I dont want to crack the password, I want to remove the password, which I have.

Pinky said:
There does not appear to be a means of resetting the password once set on the rar file, so you have to extract and create a new archive.

Meaning if it was discussed it could be used for other non kosher purposes other than by you.

I don't really see any possible means of removing the password from a rar file USING THE PASSWORD. Lol.

I think the solution is to just write a quick script that actually extracts the archives using the passwords and recreates them, as I do not think that rar can strip the passwords without recreating the archive.

Back