• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram compatibility question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

resoluteK

I'm not up to date on motherboards since the ddr2 era, and now I'm needing to replace mine. So sorry for the simplistic question.

I have the following ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145034&name=Item-#:-N82E16820145034

(Corsair DDR2-800 XMS2-6400)

The Intel motherboards I'm looking at all bear the disclaimer of only recognizing ddr2-800 at 1.8v. Since the memory I have is listed as 2.1v, does that mean these motherboards are not compatible with my ram? Or will I be able to crank up the voltage on a good board and use the ram I have?

Thanks a ton-

Some of the early Core 2 Dup ready motherboards had problems with some RAM. Typically, updated BIOS versions have solved most of these compatibility issues. A lot of the RAM nowadays relaxed the SPD timings to allow easier initial boot too. Certainly Asus and Abit motherboards should have no problem now. It will be a good idea to manually set the RAM voltage once you start.

Unfortunately, the AW8D does NOT support Core 2 Duo. You need to step up to the AW9D if you stay with Abit.

Not sure if that Intel motherboard allows overclocking. I think maybe just the Bad Axe does, but I might be wrong. I'd probably get the P5B if I were you.

Back