• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5B Deluxe: Removing optional fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

D-Whistle

How do you remove the optional fan on the Asus P5B Deluxe? The store put it in and the manual's rather lame at explaining how it's attached, so I have no idea how to reverse-install it. Here's a picture of it:

33k65ok.png.jpg

It just seems to snap on to the heatsink so I guess you'll have to bend the plastic backwards on both sides of the front or back of the fan assembly to unlatch it from the heatsink then turn it down as in picture #2.

Yeah but the thing is, the bottom is really cinched in so I can't slip my fingers in there and bend them backwards. Another problem is real estate; it's a couple of inches near the backports as you can see in picture #2. I think the plastic peg mold on the side (pic #3) latches on to the copper peg too, so that's another problem because I'll be essentially pulling all sides at the same time! :eek:

I just looked at mine more closely, which isn't installed, and on the backside there are two little tabs that look like you can press down to help release it. The only thing that seems to hold it though are the flanges along the long sides, I don't see any kind of peg for the side hole. It would probably be tough to do inside a case though. You could try using a small screwdriver to pry it as well and if worse comes to worse just snap it :p or bring it to the place that installed it and make them take it out heh.

Also you should at least yell at whoever installed it, the fan has a red warning sticker which had to be removed to install that reads something like 'WARNING only for use in a passively cooled system, installation in an actively cooled system will interfere with airflow and may cause instability.'

You might be on to something here. Yeah I know the tabs on the backside and pressing it down while yanking it up doesn't seem to do it but the flanges you mentioned might be the key. Do you have a pic of it?

And yeah they're idiots. It was only yesterday when I noticed what a complete ****job they did in applying thermal paste; it's like they put it inside a small balloon and just threw it there with force :D

you have to tilt it the opposite way it goes on.. you dont have to unlatch anything.. just tilt it to the left from the top corner, and it should come right off.

Along these same lines, I am literally in the process of installing my P5B Deluxe mobo in my new rig. I have a Tuniq Tower for my CPU cooler and a couple of case fans. I do not have a liquid cooled system clearly but I am unclear about whether or not I should install this optional fan.

Thanks!

Thanks, I'll try that :)

schwachs said:
Along these same lines, I am literally in the process of installing my P5B Deluxe mobo in my new rig. I have a Tuniq Tower for my CPU cooler and a couple of case fans. I do not have a liquid cooled system clearly but I am unclear about whether or not I should install this optional fan.

Thanks!

You can't if you wanted to. I have the 3D Rocket II and it's literally touching the fan and I'm sure the Tuniq Tower is as large if not bigger.

schwachs said:

Thanks!

You are only supposed to install it on passive or water-cooled systems. If you have a CPU heatsink with a fan you're not supposed to, and I assume you have a case with some exhaust fans near the CPU area. If you were to put it in it would really hurt the airflow coming off a tower-style heatsink like the Tuniq.

MadMan007 said:
You are only supposed to install it on passive or water-cooled systems. If you have a CPU heatsink with a fan you're not supposed to, and I assume you have a case with some exhaust fans near the CPU area. If you were to put it in it would really hurt the airflow coming off a tower-style heatsink like the Tuniq.

Ok, thanks!

Got it off. I used a tweezer and jammed it between the clip and the ridges to create space, then snapped the top backwards. Consequently, my temp went down from 52 idle to 42. It'll only get better when I get some branded thermal paste :)

Last edited:
I removed mine by unscrewing the three screws holding it together. You can't do this if you have a CPU heatsink installed, though.

Back