• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 pins on mobo - 3 on fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

schwachs

Registered
Hi... My tuniq tower stock fan has only a 3-pin connector but my P5B Deluxe has a 4 pin receptor. Can I just plug in the first three (as the only way it'll actually fit) and ignore the 4th pin which is the CPU FAN PWM? I assume PWN is for PoWer Mgmt?

Thanks!

schwachs said:
Hi... My tuniq tower stock fan has only a 3-pin connector but my P5B Deluxe has a 4 pin receptor. Can I just plug in the first three (as the only way it'll actually fit) and ignore the 4th pin which is the CPU FAN PWM? I assume PWN is for PoWer Mgmt?

Thanks!

Actually PWM = Pulse Width Modulation

But I actually don't know what the 4 pin connector is for. You would just use the first three pins, which should be the only way it fits.

perfect. thanks!

jivetrky said:

But I actually don't know what the 4 pin connector is for. You would just use the first three pins, which should be the only way it fits.

jivetrky said:

Normally fans are controlled by the magnitude of the voltage supplied.

A PWM control means there's a circuit on the fan that supplies a percentage of the supply voltage to the fan based on the PWM.

3 pins fan assignment : Positive, Negative , RPM (mostly especially for PC coooling, some industrial use it for motor locked sensor/alarm)

4 pins fan assignment : Positive, Negative, RPM, PWM signal for controlling the fan speed/power

Fyi, if you watch closely the 4 pins fan header, it is by design to downward compatible for 3 pins fan.

Yup, it fit perfectly. :)

bing said:
3 pins fan assignment : Positive, Negative , RPM (mostly especially for PC coooling, some industrial use it for motor locked sensor/alarm)

4 pins fan assignment : Positive, Negative, RPM, PWM signal for controlling the fan speed/power

Fyi, if you watch closely the 4 pins fan header, it is by design to downward compatible for 3 pins fan.

Back