• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Little bit of help, please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
Right now I've got an Asus P5L-MX running 1GB of DDR2-667 with a little bit of an overclock. The board doesn't allow much, but then I only bought it to have a decent home for my E6300. This system is basically a storage repository and a spare video encoding box.

I recently purchased another 1GB of DDR2-667, heatsink, and PCI-E video card so that I could upgrade my D805. I plan on moving it over to the P5L-MX and getting a new board for the Conroe. I want more overclocking capability than what I have now, but I'm not interested in all the bells and whistles. The new system will no longer be a file server, but will still be my secondary encoding box.

Basically, I'm looking at three boards - the Asus P5B (non deluxe), P5NSLI (570), and the MSI P965 Neo-F. I like the MSI from a price standpoint and I'm fairly certain it can offer what I'm looking for, but I know the P5B is extremely popular and proven. I don't know much about the the P5N, however...I just see plenty have it on here. I'll be purchasing these locally at Fry's, so I can't go with just any board...I don't want to have to order anything online as this is coming out of some free cash I just "have".

Comments or other suggestions? In the meantime, I'll read up!

I good OC'er without bells and whistles, this is probably the best.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138037

cheapest mobo with bells and whistles including matrix raid, minus one pci-e slot is...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127004

I would take the abit over all the ones you listed for the money personally, if you want matrix raid and some bells and whistles for a sweet price.

Vulcan has the biostar at 500X7 with a 6300 !! Basically the budget conroe mobo from heaven.

yes go with the biostar board and track down the dlx bios on the tw/eu sites. with that bios ocing is much better, the tforce linked above is the same as the dlx just without the extr sata/ich8r. another one to look at but unknown ocing abilities would be the Abit IB9. the nv570 will wind up ocing about as good as the current board you are using.

well then in that case my vote is for the p5b...but keep in mind that the vdimm for the board is 2.1 still. unless they finally got the new rev of the board with higher vdimm.

Well, Micro Center is just a block or two down from Fry's and they have the AB9. Maybe I'll just do that. It's at the max of my price range, but if I only leave myself junk to choose from, I'd keep what I have :]

The Gigabyte DS3 is there too.

DS3 is a better ocing board then the ones you listed... im changing my vote to reflect what you can get....

Evilsizer said:
DS3 is a better ocing board then the ones you listed... im changing my vote to reflect what you can get....

Found out the DS3 they carry is the 965G model - not the 965P. FSB is limited to 370 on that board, which I can get with this crappy P5L-MX.

Guess I'll have to reassess my choices :\

EDIT:

Nevermind, I was only looking at Fry's for the Gigabyte. MicroCenter does carry the 965P. I'll probably head out there tomorrow :]

Last edited:
Back