• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 gigs of ram- XP sees it all, Vista only sees 2 gigs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheCheat

Please forgive me for posting another thread dealing with Vista, and I've already checked out nikhsub1's thread dealing with his ram issue with vista and nothing there seems to help my situation. Whats even more interesting is that XP Pro can see all 3 gigs, but Vista still only shows 2.

Here's what i've tried.

I've gone into the bios to look for the Memory remap feature or whatever it was dealing with the whole BIOS issue with the P5W DH Motherboard. I never found such a feature.

I've tried going to msconfig>boot>advanced and tried changing the settings from 2048 to 3072. No luck, defaults back to 2048 right upon exiting it.

I have no clue how to get vista to see my extra gig of ram... anyone got some ideas?!

--The Cheat

I dont have a floppy on hand atm so the flash might have to wait.... where does CPUZ pull its info from? CPUZ says 3 gigs in Vista....

You can make a bios flash CD with a floppy image so you'll have no need for a floppy.

http://www.bootdisk.com/mexico/flashcd.zip

www.bootdisk.com

Flash your bios on a pc with no floppy drive.

flashcd.iso is an image of a bootable dr-dos 7 cd. In order to make it
usable to also handle your bios flash files it has a cdrom driver and
mscdex.exe loaded. What you will be doing is adding your bios flashing
program and bios file to the .iso and then burning the .iso to cd.

BEGIN WARNING

The best way to flash a bios is using a clean booting 1.44 floppy disk
but lots of pcs are built these days where the manufacturer thought it
was a a cool idea not to include one.

If you have another pc with a floppy drive, you should really first try
copying your bios flash files to a clean, bootable dos floppy and then
burning a boot cd from the boot floppy that contains the flash utilities
and using that cd on your floppyless pc.

Or better yet, see if you can add a floppy disk to your pc.

If the above are not options then using this util and instructions is
another way to address your dilemma.

Please be aware of the possible implications of flashing before you
proceed and ALSO make sure that:

1. The bios flash upgrade from your motherboard maker actually addresses
the problem you are trying to solve.

2. You make a backup of your bios which you should be able to do on your
hard drive but also save the backup to a cd so you can get to it later with
a bootable cd such as this.

END WARNING

There are 2 files in this zippack, this readme and the flashcd.iso file.
If you just burn the .iso as a test you'll see the bootfiles as drive A:
What you are going to do is add your bios flash files to flashcd.iso and
then burn your bootable cd which will include your bios files which will
be seen in drive R: I'd also add the bios backup file you made.

I use UltraISO to do this. It's a free trial. www.ezbsystems.com

To add bios files:

File | Open | Select flashcd.iso | Open | Image windows shows bootable |
Select your bios files in the lower window | Drag to the top window | File |
Save

Note that oddly, the file size of flashcd.iso may not change.

To burn:

File | Open | Click on flashcd.iso | Open | You'll see your bios flash
files on the right | Tools | Burn

Also note that if using another program it's best to use the same program
to copy files to the .iso and use the same program to burn the modified .iso

When you boot with the cd the startup files will be seen as drive A: and
the bios files will be seen as drive R:

Keep in mind that adding files to an .iso is still a new science. Also use
a good brand of media.

Kindest regards
Ed Jablonowski

TheCheat said:
I dont have a floppy on hand atm so the flash might have to wait.... where does CPUZ pull its info from? CPUZ says 3 gigs in Vista....

You can also flash using a thumb drive. That's how I've done all of mine.

TheCheat said:
Do you have a pen drive? You can flash from that. Go into bios, go to ez flash.

I don't think there is anything you can do. If you have the 64bit version, then Vista will always report 1Gb less because this amount is being used for Kernal applications. If you have the 32bit, then all the ram amount should show.

tis a 32 bit install....

I'll give MS a call and report back on what they think the problem is.

Sniper.nkc said:
I don't think there is anything you can do. If you have the 64bit version, then Vista will always report 1Gb less because this amount is being used for Kernal applications. If you have the 32bit, then all the ram amount should show.

That is not correct. As a matter of fact to see anything over 3.25gb on a desktop OS you must use a 64bit OS.

Example:
4-1,0 Gig = (4096) Giga Bytes X 8 = 32,768 M-Bits
Any 32 Bit O.S. or Chipset will only see 32,000 M-Bits
Then it would have to subtract any other memory used in the system like for your Video card and or cache on your CPU, LAN or Modem, and the MB bios may reserve some for caching as well. That would make the total size of memory accessible to your system, something between 2.6 to 3.2 Gigs of available memory.

Here is my 64bit Vista ultimate install showing all 4gigs of memory:

Last edited:
32-bit should show 3gigs (3072Megs if not mistaken). I ran it and if I had the memory remap feature enabled actually it knocked me down to 2Gigs only viewable in Vista for 32-bit.

Well after 2 and a half hours on the phone with the MS rep, I guess if you have a 32 bit OS, the OS will only show 2 gigs of ram whether you have only two gigs or three.

For 32 bit Vista, it reserves anything over 2 gigs for the kernel or something along those lines.

TheCheat said:
Well after 2 and a half hours on the phone with the MS rep, I guess if you have a 32 bit OS, the OS will only show 2 gigs of ram whether you have only two gigs or three.

For 32 bit Vista, it reserves anything over 2 gigs for the kernel or something along those lines.

Wonder if it requires 4gigs to get the 3gigs shown then. Because 3gigs does show I was running it for nearly 4 months that way. And I've used up to 2.7Gigs in 32-bit mode. So I know its possible.

deathman20 said:
Wonder if it requires 4gigs to get the 3gigs shown then. Because 3gigs does show I was running it for nearly 4 months that way. And I've used up to 2.7Gigs in 32-bit mode. So I know its possible.

Vista or XP?

Back