• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista 64 Hardware Requirements

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogelah

Registered
I admit to some confusion. I have an E6600 CPU on an ASUS P5B Deluxe mobo and 4 GB of memory. Can I install Vista 64 and if I can are there any things I should be conscious of before doing so like my X1950XT video board won't work or I need to be a glutton for punishment. I'll be using it for games, mail and web surfing when I am sitting at the keyboard and when I am not it will be running SETI, Einstein, Rosetta, etc.

You will be fine, I have the same setup except the P5W DH mobo. ATI has WHQL 64 bit vista drivers... Make sure you get the latest bios for your mobo, and enable the memory remap feature so you can use all 4 GIGS of ram. :beer:

Regarding the Memory Remap, if I install a dual boot (Vista 32 and Vista 64) do I need to disable Memory Remap for Vista 32 and enable for Vista 64 or is that only to get visibility to the entire 4 gig?

YOu will only get visibility of 4gb in 64, you dont need to undo it for 32bit though, you will just only see 3gb or so.

Another round please! :beer: Thanks, I have gotten lazy and didn't read the several threads that talked about the Memory Remap. But, it's good to know that I don't have to worry about resetting it. :)

rogelah said:
Another round please! :beer: Thanks, I have gotten lazy and didn't read the several threads that talked about the Memory Remap. But, it's good to know that I don't have to worry about resetting it. :)
Yeah well I tried everything to get 4GB to show up in 32 bit vista, won't happen. When I turned the memory remap function on for 32 bit it made no difference but I never turned it back off, no harm no foul.

Back