• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR 2700 with all DIMM's Full...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Virus

Registered
I have no idea what to do; please help me decide. Right now I have the new Soltek KT266A mb and need some RAM for it. Should I fill up all three DIMM's with Kingmax 2700 256mb, and take the performace loss of filling up all the DIMM's, or just fill up two with Mushkin 2100 512mb, the only decent brand I could find that sold 512 sticks of 2100. Also, how much of a performance loss is it when you fill up all the DIMM's and will doing that hinder oc'ing. Thank's a ton. Nick.

Oh yeah, OZC's ram might be a piece of 5h37, but their Titan 3 video card pwns.

I guess I'm courious about this too. Do you lose speed when running 3 banks as apposed to 1 or 2?

Darkfa11

Yes its harder to get as high of a fsb from more memory but it really is not different using 2-3 or 4 banks other than that the chances of one stick not performing as well as the others limiting you.
The more memory in terms of mb's the harder it is on the clock generator.

You also need to be carefull what you buy will work in your motherboard.

A memory slot actually can use 2 banks of memory also known as double sided memory and some motherboards can not use all their memory slots when used with double sided memory other boards will require using registered memory when using all the slots so just make sure you board will function correctly with the memory you plan to use.

I'm going to just offer an example I have a epox 8k7a with two dimm slots. The norm for my system is one stick of crucial pc2100 @160mhz , I am building a second system and since I'm waiting for another epox mobo I thought I would test out my other new stick of crucial pc2100. First I installed the new stick to replace the old one and booted the system without resetting cmos (still @ 160fsb) it booted fine I had a second quality stick possibly better then the first. Then I stuck both sticks in together and it booted at 160mhz without a hitch so I would have no overclocking disadvantage with these two stick I got lucky I have two high quality sticks of ram...crucial rules! Strangly enough my Sandra memory scores went down ever so slightly I was a bit suprised it was 761/979 and with two sticks it was now 751/970 not a big decrease but a decrease never the less. This test is far from scientific I didnt even do Sandra tests with the other stick alone @ 160mhz like I said this is just an example.

Back