• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 680i and Scythe Ninja Plus B.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidnjina

Registered
Just in case you are considering, I've sucessfully installed Scythe Ninja version B on EVGA 680i board with some simple modifications.

Originally, I had used the plastic clip to install the heatsink and I was having temp problem. I was getting low 40c when idle and under Intel TAT 100% load it will reach 75c at stock speed so I stopped. At the time, I thought it was the plastic clip mount that wasn't holding the heatsink correctly and I remounted it three times. I got a couple of degrees cooler but that was it.

I looked around and there were people on the net that used the Danger Den CPU waterblock mounting hardware to mount the Ninja. By the way, you could buy the mounting hardware from Petra's Tech Shop. I tried to order it but it was out of stock. I bought the EK CPU waterblock mounting hardware plus #6 washers from Home Depot. When I took my board out of the case and try the new mounting, I noticed that one side of my heatsink is raised a bit by motherboard components (I think they are heatsinks). This is probably why my original install was so horrible, but I wan't gonna go back to check. I used my dremel to shave off about 1 mm off the bracket to make room. Installing Ninja using EK CPU waterblock mounting hardware was pretty easy as I only had to turn screws by hand till my board
was slightly bending.

Here is the link to the hardware I used:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/ekcpuwamoha.html

From the bottom, I have EK bolt, three #6 washers, protective paper washer?, board, protective washer, heatsink bracket, spring and nut.

I wish I had taken the picture before I put them together. I was reluctant to take any picture because I was afraid it wouldn't work. Now, my E6600's idle temperature is 42c and at 100% load using Intel TAT is 60c @ 3.4 Ghz. If I use any other stress test, I get 57c or lower under 100% load.

I am not sure how my temp compares to the temps other have achieved, but this is my first oc'ed computer and I am happy.

Back