• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B Deluxe, Commando or P5W-DH ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xcamarox

Registered
Pricewise they are attainable, I just need to know which on will be better for a E6600, crossfire and high OCing.

I know most of you will incline towards the DH but, I see a lot of improvements over the new revised P965, thats why Im asking what would you guys get if you had the chance.

One other thing. Whats with this x16, x4 shared mode? Does this mean the single card will run at x16 and if you connect two cards it will drop to x4? If this is what it means, are the cards in crossfire gonna run "slower"?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

As far as I've heard, the P5W-DH is the better mobo for the E6600. I haven't seen any benchmarks for the commando, but apparently the 975 chipset is better for OCing the higher end core 2 cpu's. Something about one chipset being able to hit higher FSB at the lower multi or something like that and it makes one chipset better for conroes and the other for allendales. Sorry for the vague info but I just woke up

this has been covered up and down in these forums, if you want 400 1:1 rock stable and crossfire 2x8x lanes the p5w is the board for you, if you want more ram overclocking and software crossfire support with 1 lane 16x and one 4x get a p965. Any single card works the same in both, there's just a different in multi GPU and ram overclocking.

Guys, thanks a lot for taking the time. Rattle, when you say software crossfire support what do you refer to?

Is 2x8X better than 1x16 + 1x4? They come out to be the same bandwith ratio right?

Thanks.

2x8x is better becuase its on the hardware level with the dongle.
software crossfire is handled by the drivers and its slower with same setup in 16x+4x then a settup in 8x+8x

you could run 8x+8x without the dongle now also I beleive but either way the 4x slot hurts performance on the 965 chipset, aside from that its actually a better clocker for lower multiplier chips because it goes well past 400 approaching 500 on most where the p5w only hits 450 on its best day, most 425.

It makes a lotta sense Rattle, thanks for clearing that up.

Any insight into the Commando mobo? I hear is pretty nifty, what you think?

Thanks man.

same as p5b deluxe with more voltage options, generally about the same maybe a little better Oc'er, really it comes down to the chips on the mobo I think just like cpus its all luck.
There's probably a few peeps with p5b-d's that do better than most commandos, just lucky.

Once again, just like I thought. I really appreciate your time and knowledge.

One last question, Would I see a 50-60% increase over my current setup:

930D @4.25 w/p5wd-e prem? Is it really worth the extra $500-$600 upgrade?

I promise this is it.

TIA!

well it depends on your system and what you do with it. Unfortunately the conroes are beasts compared to anything out there so I would have to say YES !

What are the rest of your components?

2GB Geil PC2-5400 4-4-4-8
X1800 XT PE 512MB
RAID0 (about 2 Teries)
RAID0 2X150GB Raptors 10K
Built-in Sound
Seasonic 600W PS

Ninja cooler
Lots and Lots and Lots and Lots of fans
Thermaltake Soprano bk case

Anything else?

Man I really enjoy my system, but seeing these Core2Duos kicking some serious ***, I cant think straight...

I was hoping you were like "oh yeah dood at least 40%", even though I was accepting a lie. I know it will be faster but not to the point of an inmediate upgrade.

If Im gonna go to the C2D I will upgrade the system with CrossFire and better RAM, so it adds up more...
This is where I am... you know poor people with pennies to count scenario...

yeah you'll see a good boost even in gaming if you keep the same card, your ram is 667 so if you grab a 6600 you still can reach 3.0 without buying ram right away, possibly even higher, 3.0 6600 would kill your current cpu.

I guess, thats all I needed to confirm, the egg here I come...I will get new RAM and at least one X1950 CF or should I wait for the new X2800? or I rather not too expensivo at release hype.

I'll get a decent X1950 XT some new RAM any particular RAM? you recommend?

Thanks man for ****ing off the wife.

your best bet is to find 800mhz memory with 4-4-4-12 timings for around $200 regardless of brand, right now thats a pretty good deal, there even some cheaper stuff around than that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2416064+1052308477&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=147

start there !

those first red gskills are sweet for the price, reports show cas 4 even though they are rated for 5 at 800

the gskills 3rd down are cas4 at 800 and people were paying $225 for those a couple weeks ago...

next step up as far as ram that overclocks like a beast is in the $250 range.

Again with a 6600 having 9 multi even your current memory stock at 333x9 gets you 3.0

cpu-3708.jpg

mainboard-3708.jpg

This should help, the p5w and e6600 are sole mates. There are advantages in the board for sli/crossfire otherwise, I'm sticking with the p5w for mine.

I love Corsair for my RAM, I was actually looking into the:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820145034

But I heard one guy say it really sucked for overclocking...I might go with my OCZ or Geil...
Any specific model wich will OC better?

$250ish is not that bad...

Tyler, the 975X boards look impressive as well, so Im still contemplating them, I still have few more hours to decide, so I'll think about it.
Any cons so far tyler?

Why didnt you go for a 965?

Peronsally I think the only way to go is 965. Tylers system is most likely being limited by his board right now.

Back