• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4-4-4-15 vs. 5-5-5-12

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Idokras

Hello everyone, first post of mine. Thanks for being able to post here, it's an awesome information ground!

Just a quick question: I'm about to buy some components for a new PC, with an ASUS P5B Deluxe board and a C2D 6300 CPU to overclock.

The last choice I have to make is between these two RAM choices from OCZ:

OCZ DDR PC2-6400 Platinum-Series Rev2 Dual Channel, 2048MB, PC2-800, CL4-4-4-15 (OCZ2P800R22GK)

OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Special Ops Edition Dual Channel, 2048MB, PC2-800, CL5-5-5-12 (OCZ2SOE8002GK)

Is there an important difference between the 4-4-4-15 and the 5-5-5-12 settings? The 5-5-5-12 one is about $15 more expensive, that's all. Is one better for OC than the other?

I've been looking around in the forums for a quite a bit but couldn't find any useful information on this particular question.

Thanks for any input,
Ced

Only 2%? And 98% is the bandwidth derived from the FSB clock? I'd like a source or more comments on this one because I've been lead to believe timings are more important than a mere 2% of total performance.

from here:http://www.tech-hounds.com/article24/ArticlesPage4.html

techhounds said:
From Sciencemark Membench's results we can see bandwidth wise, asynchronous results at 400 MHz FSB with 1000 MHz memory offer an advantage in both bandwidth and latency compared to running synchronous at 400 MHz with tighter timings. However, those two advantages didn't translate to real world increase in performance - the overall SuperPi 8M test results on both settings, hell, even the time taken with each iterations are the same.

real world memory performance is about the same, so i say he just gets the one that will translate into a higher sync fsb and thus a higher cpu speed

Thanks for all your input! I'll be going for the 4-4-4-15 then, which is also a little bit cheaper.

Ced

I ran into the same thing testing my memory at different settings. My 1M SuperPi is 14.1xx with my current settings, 400FSB, 1:1 memory, 4-4-4-10 1T. I set it at 5-5-5-15 2T at 5:6, 500mHz, and got the same time on SuperPi. I went 450x8, memory 1:1, 4-4-4-10, and the board automatically set 2T, SuperPi was 14.2xx. It seems the sweet spot for the RAM I have is at 1:1 400FSB.

Most people are not aware that after ddr-800 speeds p965chipsets can not support 4-4-4- so you will need to set it to 5-5-5- for it too boot. The difference between the two is nothing go for which ever is cheaper. you should have zero problem in getting 2800mhz. Only thing you are putting stress to is your motherboard and cpu both of which can handle the load perfectly. After this 2800mhz, you are overclocking the memory. once you get everything installed feel free to PM me and ill tell you what you should enable and disable in your bios to get to 2800mhz.

how do you set it to 5-5-5 if you havnt booted yet ?

its not that it doesnt support 4-4-4 its just that in all their wisdom they made all the mobos default to 1.8v on the vdimm, so all this performance ram that needs 2.0 or higher to boot at 4-4-4 wouldnt, so all the mem has been speed flashed to 5-5-5 thats why it always comes up as 5-5-5 by default, which is easier to boot at then 4-4-4 with only 1.8v.

The reason why they throw the jedec standard 5-5-5 and 6-6-6 compatability crap in is so they cover their asses if someone couldnt get a set of ram to post that has tighter timings and needs more voltage and they dont care if you buy worse performing ram, this has mostly been killed though with looser speed flashed timings and bios revisions.

How about my DDR 1000 running 4-4-4-8 @ 2.1V? This was a old scrennie of 4-4-4-12 before I got to fine tuning. Actually I am not noticing big differences from my DDR800, but it sure does allow a good CPU to overclock to the sky.

memoryddr1000444124hourmv3.jpg

Helpful thread. I have a mild 365x8 overclock (35 idle/62 load with stock cooler) @ 5-5-5-15. Only did 30 min of memtest but it is so far stable.

I thought of 4-4-4-15 but it will make overclocking trickier. I want to see how far i can push the CPU. From this thread it sounds like CPU rules over memory timing for games.

Back