• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus p5b deluxe best bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow. Do you think it is just a buggy BIOS, or do you think something else went wrong with the update?

:cool:

From others reports, I'm going with buggy bios. The update "seemed" to go fine. It worked once when I reset, then I set the bios value from default to the RAID setup, reboot, then bios fail.

I flashed 0910 and the list of SATA devices does not appear between "Language" and "IDE Configuration" with the "Configure SATA" set to either "SATA" or AHCI". With "Configure SATA" set to "IDE" the list shows up.

I have 4 SATA disks in a RAID 10 (0+1) set on ports 0,1,2 and 3 and a SATA DVD on port 5 (4 is unused).

I set the primary boot to DVD and secondary to the RAID 10 set. The POST screen indicates that the SATA devices are there but it cannot find any device to boot from.

Any suggestions?

PS Is there a way to halt the POST display such that I can record the actual verbiage shown on the POST screen for the disks and the DVD?

I think you should be in "RAID" mode on the IDE Configuration if you are using a RAID Array. The individual drives will not show up in the POST. The HD's only show up in the Intel RAID screen where it shows the Array Asdignments, etc.

I am running a 2-Drive Raptor RAID-0, along with 2 non-RAID SATA HD's and a SATA DVD-RW. None of them show up in the POST (due to running in RAID mode), but they work fine in Windows...

Also, re-check your Boot Drives, and Boot Order. This appears to reset when updating your BIOS.

Randyman... said:
I think you should be in "RAID" mode on the IDE Configuration if you are using a RAID Array. The individual drives will not show up in the POST. The HD's only show up in the Intel RAID screen where it shows the Array Asdignments, etc.

I am running a 2-Drive Raptor RAID-0, along with 2 non-RAID SATA HD's and a SATA DVD-RW. None of them show up in the POST (due to running in RAID mode), but they work fine in Windows...

Also, re-check your Boot Drives, and Boot Order. This appears to reset when updating your BIOS.

I do have the SATA Configuration set to "RAID" on the IDE Configuration.

The boot order is SATA DVD-RW as "Primary" and the RAID10 array as secondary.

During POST it finds all disks (on SATA ports 0 to 3) and the DVD-RW on SATA port 5.

The Intel RAID screen shows the 4 disks in a RAID 10 array and is marked "Bootable" (they have not been formatted yet).

I get the message "Detect drives done, no drives found" just before the screen that displays the final listing before booting. The DVD-RW is shown as an ATAPI CDROM on SATA port 5.

The final listing screen is cleared and it gives the message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key"

Any "You forgot to do ??" or gut feelings or suggestions will be appreciated. :-/

rogelah said:
I do have the SATA Configuration set to "RAID" on the IDE Configuration.

The boot order is SATA DVD-RW as "Primary" and the RAID10 array as secondary.

During POST it finds all disks (on SATA ports 0 to 3) and the DVD-RW on SATA port 5.

The Intel RAID screen shows the 4 disks in a RAID 10 array and is marked "Bootable" (they have not been formatted yet).

I get the message "Detect drives done, no drives found" just before the screen that displays the final listing before booting. The DVD-RW is shown as an ATAPI CDROM on SATA port 5.

The final listing screen is cleared and it gives the message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key"

Any "You forgot to do ??" or gut feelings or suggestions will be appreciated. :-/
hi'
your cdrom should not be a problem, if you want to boot from it, it has to be plugged on a red slot.
then first hdd on slot0 and second hdd on slot1 and so on on red plugs, your raid needs 4 hdds, the array should be one raid10, and in the post you can see them but as sata 1,2,etc
but how could you make a setup on one hdd, how many hdd's aren't formated? I'm afraid that you need to go through build an array from one hdd and then boot.
this might take a bit of time since the array has to be built befor boot and it's a four hdd's, and depends on the size too and you'll have to wait a bit ... don't reboot thinking something is going wrong.
in your bios try to set the first hdd as bootable first.
and the cd in second one.

stripe size 128k, this has been discussed long time, and appears to be the best.
after boot, you may go to intel matrix storage to check all this
and enable cache or not up to you ;)

I don't know if it helps, but this is the way it is set in my rig.
although, I build a raid 0+1 only ;)

i686

i686 said:
hi'
your cdrom should not be a problem, if you want to boot from it, it has to be plugged on a red slot.
then first hdd on slot0 and second hdd on slot1 and so on on red plugs, your raid needs 4 hdds, the array should be one raid10, and in the post you can see them but as sata 1,2,etc
but how could you make a setup on one hdd, how many hdd's aren't formated? I'm afraid that you need to go through build an array from one hdd and then boot.
this might take a bit of time since the array has to be built befor boot and it's a four hdd's, and depends on the size too and you'll have to wait a bit ... don't reboot thinking something is going wrong.
in your bios try to set the first hdd as bootable first.
and the cd in second one.

stripe size 128k, this has been discussed long time, and appears to be the best.
after boot, you may go to intel matrix storage to check all this
and enable cache or not up to you ;)

I don't know if it helps, but this is the way it is set in my rig.
although, I build a raid 0+1 only ;)

i686
CD-ROM is plugged into slot 6 (port 5). There are 4x250GB HDDs plugged into slots 1, 2, 3, and 4 that make up the RAID10. I don't understand the need to format the RAID10 array before booting to do the Vista installation because that is where the drives will be formatted after I load the ICH8R driver.

My problem is that the SATA connected CD-ROM on SATA 6 (port 5) is not recognized as the boot device so that I can install Vista. I have tried it as the primary boot device, the secondary (after the RAID10 array) and as the only boot device. It makes no difference.

The official response to connecting SATA disks and SATA DVD-ROM to the ICH8R connectors when the SATA Configuration is set to RAID is NO. The DVD-ROM cannot be connected to the same interface (ICH8R).

My next question is "Can the DVD-ROM be connected after the operating system is loaded?"

I feel certain that there are P5B Deluxe users who do have that configuration.

I am using the Lite-on SATA DVD-RW drive on my P5B-D, and it works fine as a boot drive for installing XP (ICH8R in RAID mode). Maybe Vista is different?

Randyman... said:
I am using the Lite-on SATA DVD-RW drive on my P5B-D, and it works fine as a boot drive for installing XP (ICH8R in RAID mode). Maybe Vista is different?

This problem occurs prior to booting the installation DVD, so Vista is not involved yet. I have tried setting up a RAID 0 with 2 disks, RAID 1 with 2 disks, RAID 10 with 4 disks and RAID 5 with 4 disks. POST finds the SATA DVD but when it comes time to boot from the DVD it can't find it.

My problem may be that I have 4 disks connected to SATA 1, 2, 3 and 4 with the DVD connected to 6.

Anyway, I am going to take JB's advice and connect the DVD to the JMicron controller.

Have you tried booting to the DVD using the "F8" Pop-Up Boot Menu in BIOS? That is what I do (the DVD is not even in my Boot Menu - I manualy "F8" to it when I need to boot from it).

Back