• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't boot or reinstall Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiquidSmoke

A friend of mine has a problem with his computer and I was trying to fix it but I've run into a block. Everytime the computer turns on it freezes at the windows xp boot screen. I tried last known good and safe mode, but they had the same result (frozen). I also tried to reformat it, but when I boot off the Windows CD it doesn't get past the first screen where it is loading drivers. It freezes on the part where it says "Starting Windows" (before the liscense agreement or anything comes up). I tried a different CD and it did the same thing. I tested the RAM and the harddrive after that to see if they were faulty, but they turned out to be fine. Any ideas?

Remove any PCI card or other devices and try that. You said the memory was fine,but that sounds like a memory problem; however I did have a sound card go out on a pc I sold and the guy couldn't get it to bootup until it was removed.

mblue said:
Remove any PCI card or other devices and try that. You said the memory was fine,but that sounds like a memory problem; however I did have a sound card go out on a pc I sold and the guy couldn't get it to bootup until it was removed.
I removed all the pci cards and tried to boot off the XP CD, it froze at the same spot. I also disconnected all the optical drives and tried to boot off the harddrive, that didn't work either.

nvidiaOCmaster said:
Does it work slow like there are no display drivers?
Is what slow? I can't get into windows, the only thing I can do without problems is POST. I'm not sure what you are referring to.

I believe that you can still have bad memory pass memtest. At least that is what recall. Do you have different mem, hd or mobo to try various configuration on?

Back