• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista Graphics Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

I would like both nVidia users and ATI users to respond, because I have a feeling ATI users are not having htis problem and since im looking for a new Vid card,, and the price to performance point seems to be the 1950 right now.. i would really liek to know

When I install Vista I get a 4.4 vista performance rating and a 4.7 gaming performance rating. After installing drivers (whetherthe 97.xx or the new 100.xx drivers, they drop to 4.3 and 4.6

oh yah rig is in sig.. 7600 gs

it plays FAIRLY well.. although i just got a 22" widescreen, so far the 3 games i have installed do not support widescreen (2 battlefield games... waste) and sim city 4..

So need something that will play 1680x1050 or whatever and well. Never been a fan of AA.. i will take higher resolution over antialiasing anyday... as far as i can tell all AA does is make everything blurry.

I will look through the gaming forum for good game ideas, or start a thread for cool games that also support 16:10 format.

AA looks great on ATI cards, not blurry. I can't live without it anymore, jaggies and flickering without those on is absolutely annoying. If you aren't going to be using AA then a 1950 wouldn't really even be needed. Memory like 512mb is all you would need for high res with nothing turned on.

As for performance, I lost a few points, about 200 in 3dmark06 when I went from XP to Vista. The games themselves run smooth and games load and change levels quicker for me. Right now I am a Guild Wars nut, but I play Battlefield 2 also. You can do widescreen formats in BF2. Just change the shortcut.

BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200

etc.

IF you want cool games that support widescreen, you should ask in the games section.

Check out widescreen gaming, they have a ton of info on games that support or how to get them to support WS.

More then enough games support widescreen and if anything you can "fix it" to support widescreen in 99% of the cases.

The 3 games you've mentioned BF2 I know supports it in a workaround. You have to fix the ini or exe file to do so. Definatly SimCity 4 supports widescreen as well. If not mistaken that one just used a modded shortcut to up the res. I've run SimCity 4 @ 1920x1200 before so it does work. Dang makes me want to install that game again, bah I'll wait for SimCity 5.

Back