• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bypassing the account logon screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

Ok so I just ran a fresh install of XP at my office but I always have to click on my user name at the welcome screen before it will finish loading, how do I skip this?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/tips/knox2.mspx

MSKB said:
Submitted by Doug Knox, Microsoft MVP, Tewksbury, Massachusetts

You can configure Windows XP to automate the logon process if your computer is not part of a domain.

Click Start, click Run, and type control userpasswords2.

Clear the Users must enter a username and password to use this computer check box.

Click Apply.

Enter the user name and password you wish to automatically log on with, and then click OK.

Click OK again and you're all done.

This feature allows other users to start your computer and use the account that you establish to automatically log on. Enabling auto logon makes your computer more convenient to use, but can pose a security risk.

You can also just make sure that your account doesn't have a password and that the option for use welcome screen is ticked. That should also resolve the issue for you.

Back