• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft Updates cause system crash ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hkgonra

I was running Microsoft Update on a couple systems this morning and they both got BSOD upon restart. Anyone know of any issues with recent updates ?

I haven't had any bsods but I got alot of strange errors trying to run microsoft update yesterday to grab the IE7 patch.. ended up having to use MBSA to get it.

I went to windows update today and after I restarted it wouldn't boot into windows. I had to use last known working config like you did. I've never had this happen before.

According to information that I have received it appears to be due to a hardware update for VIA Primary IDE Channel (Device ID = 20000477).

According to information that I have received it appears to be due to a hardware update for VIA Primary IDE Channel (Device ID = 20000477).

I got that update for my Dell notebook. There is nothing via in it at all, so i blocked it from showing up again.

Where did you find that info ?

hkgonra said:
Where did you find that info ?

I work for a large OEM in tech support and that's what was handed down. I was sort of wondering why VIA IDE drivers would be installed on our systems since they don't use VIA chipsets at all. Sounds like a case of mistaken identity and Windows update may be replacing the Intel IDE drivers with Via ones, making the hard drive inaccessible.

I work for a large OEM in tech support and that's what was handed down. I was sort of wondering why VIA IDE drivers would be installed on our systems since they don't use VIA chipsets at all. Sounds like a case of mistaken identity and Windows update may be replacing the Intel IDE drivers with Via ones, making the hard drive inaccessible.

I was wondering why it was downloading on all my Dell's as well. :p

Back