• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BAD AXE 2 owners: How fast is your board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
I just got a D975XBX2 - Bad Axe 2 board, and I was wondering how high of a FSB you guys get with yours.

I'm currently running a prescott celly, since I am waiting for the E6X20 series intel processors and the price cuts. I don't know whether I should go with the E6320, E6420, or the E6600.

You should get the E6600 for higher multipler and require lower FSB to achieve good results.

Caffinehog said:
Yeah, but can I get the same with a slower processor?

From a purely overclocking point of view.

For the lower core 2's(e4xxx, e63xx) its best to get a 965 chipset. These go to higher FSB speeds.

The 975 chipsets are good for high multi chips, like the 6600 and above since you can't achieve as high a FSB as with the 965s. Also the 975 seems to be faster clock for clock than the 965.

I know the 975 chipset can't get as much FSB as 965... I just want to know what kind of FSB I can expect out of this board, so I know how much more, if any, I'll get from a faster chip.

I've done my homework, but everyone seems to be testing these boards with chips that max out long before the board does, and I want to know what the BOARD is capable of.

Airbornederekc... I intend to up the FSB in the bios. Does it matter if I do it some other way?

Let me explain further: Conroe seems to max out between 3.2-3.6ghz most of the time. If this board is capable of 450mhz, then an E6400, (or E6420) is all I'll need to get the most out of it. But if the board maxes out just over 400FSB, then I need an E6600 to reach its max. But if the board maxes out somewhere over 470 or so, then I'll just go with the E6300 and save money.

This is why I need to know what kind of FSB it will hit.

I dunno what else to tell you. Overclocking the fsb isn't exact. Many people get 400-450. 450 at the higher limit. 470 is doable but I haven't seen many(any) people hitting those speeds. You could have some sort of golden board and hit 500+ fsb. There is no way to tell.

From the reading I've been doing on the BA2, I would say 400 to 425 is about the max a non-modded board will do for everyday stability... I would recommend the E6600

Ya most 975x chip sets do 400-440fsb. I have seen my dfi board do 468fsb but don't know what that board will max out at. It should do 400fsb plus.

Back