• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista32 NIC Tweak

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JenBell

Hello People,

OK, so since I installed vista 32, my Internet speed has not been as good as XP. I think this is due to no software firewall like zone alarm...actually considering go back to hell (norton) just to get some decent protection and switch the crappy vista fw off...

Anyways...so by default...vista sets up nic to auto neg which is kool but as I know I am connecting to a ASA5510, I can nail the duplex settings, I changed the NIC speed in vista to full duplex 100 and almost instantly...my connection starts hitting top speed...actually matching my xp speed on clubbox!

Just thought I would let people know, also tried this on a linksys standard dsl box which the pc nic duplex setting changed...same thing...got faster.

The strange thing is that when it was on auto...it still neg'ed to 100/full...so strictly speaking it should not make a difference.

Oh well...live and learn.

Oh and if anyone can recommend a decent firewall for vista?

There's nothing wrong with Vistas fw, so I recommend that. Even XPs fw was good enough. It didn't stop outbound traffic, but once malware gets to that stage your box is owned by someone else and a software fw isn't going to stop them.

I used a 3rd party fw when I was on 56k because I played UT2k4 with that connection, and needed every bit I could get to go towards the game. Now that I'm on cable I use the built in fw on both my Vista and XP partition.

Back