• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit Th7ii and 2.8b Northwood.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SethG911

Hey everyone I am stumped with an issue I have been having with my new processor. It is a P4 2.8b Northwood and I have it installed to my Abit TH7ii mobo with the latest EH bios update. I set the setting in the bios to user defined at 133 / x21 and the Speed Error Hold setting to off. It boots up ok and runs for a while, then restarts with no blue screen. I am thinking maybe it is overheating (45C idle / 61 loaded) or the CPU is being under or over voltaged. I believe the Chip recommends a 1.525v setting which i tried... also tried a 1.55v and a 1.6v setting with no avail. I am running 4x 256mb PC800-45 (400 Mhz) RDRAM if that helps. Any advice for bios settings or solutions would be much appreciated!

Seth

:welcome: To the forums Seth
Thats strange 133X21 is stock, 61c load is a bit high. Have you tried removing one pair of memory and putting in your continuity rims then swapping them around to see if its your memory.Thats all i can think of at the moment, not familiar with the motherboard.

Well it works fine and runs for weeks on end with my old celeron 2.2 with the ram set up in the same config as it is in when i try the 2.8b... I will give it a shot anyway and see. Keep the advice coming!

With PC800 RDRAM, you'll probably need to use the 3X memory divider (300 setting). You are trying to run that RAM at PC1066 speed if you use the 400 setting, which is quite a lot to ask of 4 PC800 sticks.

batboy said:
With PC800 RDRAM, you'll probably need to use the 3X memory divider (300 setting). You are trying to run that RAM at PC1066 speed if you use the 400 setting, which is quite a lot to ask of 4 PC800 sticks.

I agree. I've been recently playing with my old TH7II-R setup. I also have 4x256MB sticks of PC800-45 RDRAM & the most I could get out of them at 400 (1:1) was 125FSB. I could get 2 sticks up tp 140FSB.
I could get my P4 1.6A Northwood up to 2.4GHz. FSB was at 150, RAM at 300 (3/4 or 112.5MHz).

I've also tried a P4 2.4B (133FSB) Northwood on this board. That chip will also do 150FSB for 2.7GHz.
I've been getting some random reboots with this setup, so I suspect my origanal Antec 350W PSU is not quite up to the task with the overclocked CPU, 4 sticks of RAM, 2 80HDD's in RAID-0, 2 optical drives & several case fans. I'll likely do a bit of rewiring to a PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510W (Old style AUX power connector is needed) that I'm not using now.
Nothing like pushing it to the limit!
-Dave

Hey I figured it out. It was not my ram (which I had running at 300 to start with) but instead it was my AGP clock speed setting. When i installed the new processor it kicked my AGP clock setting to 88mhz instead of 66. So all i did was set that manually back down to the 2/4 setting instead of the 2/3 setting. Dropping it from 88mhz to 66 mhz again. Runs flawless now. Thanks so much for all your help and trying to help me crack this. I will be sure to come back to these forums with any other issues!

Seth

Back