• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Number of sticks and overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pyrotechnic

I recently oc'ed my Tbred on a KT266A mobo. I was running 12.5x175 which is the maximum stable I found with this board. The memory was running at 125Mhz and the PCI was running at 35Mhz, which is well within spec.

The initial stick of ram I had was a Crucial 256MB PC2100 stick. This is a warranty replacement from crucial and only has chips on one side, and is dated 2005.

This is where the overclock stops working.

I then added 2 other sticks. One Crucial 256MB PC2100 with chips on both sides dated 2001, and a Crucial 256MB PC2700 with chips on both sides dated 2002.

The system ran great with the one single sided 256MB stick but when I added the other 2, I started getting an occasional BSOD. Is this because the chipset had problems addressing 3 slightly different sticks while running at 175FSB ? The memory was running underclocked at 125Mhz with a divider so that shouldn't be the issue.

I lowered the FSB back down to the stock 133 and left the multiplier at 12.5 and it's working great. I think the system actually runs better at 1666Mhz with 768MB of ram than it did at 2188Mhz with 256MB of ram so I'm still happy. Does adding multiple sticks of ram, especially different ones hinder overclocking ?

Back