• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firewalls

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imation

Registered
what does everybody use for their firewall? i will be using anti vir for the anti virus. is just windows firewall fine? or should i go back and use my zone labs? i guess i need spy ware protection too.

Last edited:
You should have some kind of firewall that just acts as a firewall for security. This can just be a hardware router or it can be a crappy old PC (even a 386sx will work). IPCOP is freely downloadable and runs on anything and is very secure.

I absolutely would never, ever, ever under any circumstances directly connect a windows PC to the internet without something non-windows in between that does NAT (network address translation). It's like parking your car in a bad neighborhood with the keys in it and the engine running and leaving the door open, then going for a 2 hour walk. A cheap router is only a few bucks at any office supply store and also gives you the ability to connect multiple PC's.

I use Kerio for my firewall. It doesn't hurt having a software firewall behind your routers firewall. I prefer to have a software firewall because I don't want certain programs accessing the internet. A good software firewall with HIPS (host-based intrusion prevention system) can also protect you if your antivirus fails to detect a virus. The free version of Kerio doesn't have HIPS, I don't think, but the full version does.

I've switched from Zone Alarm to Comodo. It has a little more detailed interface and has more useful information when it asks you about some application trying to access the local net or internet. It's free too.

A router or hardware firewall is the best protection to stop outside intrusions but the software firewalls are good at stopping inside apps from phoning home behind your back.

i use commodo firewall which kicks ***. Ive had no attacks which helps. It can get a little annoying with windows popping up but other wise its one firewall you can trust.

Ive had no problems and yes you are right Adragontatoo it does take time to learn at first. But once you get the hang of it, it can be quite handy at times.

imation said:
what does everybody use for their firewall? i will be using anti vir for the anti virus. is just windows firewall fine? or should i go back and use my zone labs? i guess i need spy ware protection too.

A router and Windows Firewall is fine for 99% of users.

The Windows FW doesn't block Windows from calling home does it?

I know Zone Alarm and Comodo do.

Back