• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VLC's giving poor DVD video quality

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

archangelgabe

VLC has been playing my dual sided DVD's (only one's I tried so far) at a very low quality and very, very dark. None of the preferences seems to affect the video quality. I do have dual monitors with my 7950GX2, however I tried the multiple GPU mode on my main monitor with no effect.

"Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer." is what WMP says, which is why I got VLC to begin with as I'm not willing to pay for a plug-in that shouldn't have been withheld to begin with.

So far no one else seems to have this problem and my DVD works fine on my Xbox. ;_;

I had this exact issue when I had my 7600gs. I'd say 90% of any video I watched were dark. If I watched real player videos they were dark. Windows media player gave me dark video. Actually VLC was the only one that played them what I would consider normal. I found out the problem had to do with video acceleration. In Real Player Classic I could turn down the video acceleration one notch and all was well. Sadly windows media player did not have this option and when I tried turning down my entire systems video acceleration under the video options it did not help.

I had a similar problem with my Nvidia 6800 cards. Go to the Nvidia control panel where you adjust your graphic card settings and look under color correction menu. there is a "Apply color change" tab. Select the overlay option in that tab, then retore those settings to its defaults.

archangelgabe said:
"Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer." is what WMP says, which is why I got VLC to begin with as I'm not willing to pay for a plug-in that shouldn't have been withheld to begin with.
You don't have to pay for them:

Download the (free) K-Lite Codec pack [full version] and use the integrated (also free) Media Player Classic. You'll need to go into view->options and select the formats that you want it to play. Make sure you set the default playback option as System Default when installing the pack for best speed/quality. MPC is very lightweight, simple, and generally much faster than WMP. It doesn't have much of a media library, but it's an excellent audio/video player.

The pack comes with all the codecs you'll ever need for playback (other than realmedia and some quicktime codecs which you can get with real alternative and quicktime alternative respectively), and lots of codecs for audio/video encoding. It also comes with some HD codecs that you can enable when installing.

I do use VLC alot but I use mpc w/ k-lite when I want to play anything .rm and qt-encoded because I hate their native players.

Edit: If you install the codec pack you can still use WMP, but I suggest checking out Media Player Classic instead.

This may be a little off topic, but when watching DVD's I get a little deinterlacing problem when something moves when using VLC... get's pretty annoying. Anyone know of this problem?

Back