• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First impressions of Vista.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inkfx

Well, it looks neat, that's about it. Installing it wasn't so bad, only took about 20-30 minutes. I get to the desktop and it's already telling me about it's awesome security features that are super duper cool. (yeah don't care MS!) Finding the drivers I needed wasn't hard. Only driver I couldn't find was for the D-Link wireless card, oh well. Now when it comes to downloading them and installing them all I can say is wow, what a processes that was. I think it asked me a good 8000 times if I was sure that I wanted to install and that if I was aware this may be a malicious program. I thought, hey, once this is installed all that silly non-sense will be gone. Nope. Everytime you open a program it asks me "are you sure?" or gives some other stupid response. The kicker is it doesn't ask just once, it asks a few time. I don't know how y'all feel about it but those dumb warnings get old after the first one I see. I also had a hell of a time figuring out why the video card wouldn't give off a signal. So far my impressions of Vista are not fun. /rant

Well if I disable all those settings is Vista going to tell me about how I disabled them and should re-enable it all? Oh and any ideas on how I get the 2 Seagate 320GB SATAII HDDs working? When they are plugged in I get no signal to the monitor. (yes I've made sure the boot order is correct)

thats some weirdness right there with the hard drive bro that has nothing to do with vista, as far as UAC no of course not, once you disable it bye bye to all that admin permission nonsense.

Nothing to do with Vista, eh? Then why is it only when I formatted Vista it started happening? There is important data on there my dad would like to access. I suppose I could set up a home server just for his drives but that's kind of silly that Vista wont let me boot with them.

you trying to plug them into a system and get on them?
the system is running vista, is there an OS on the drives ?

No there is not. They were running as storage drives under Windows XP Professional before I formatted Vista. He has a Seagate 80GB SATAII drive for boot.

Yes. I get an little box saying "No signal input" or something close to that, then the monitor goes to standby mode like it's unplugged from the comp.

You can say that again. I got it to boot once or twice with the drives plugged in but then Vista restarted and no more worky.

I think it's even more weird now than it was before. I plugged up the Seagate 320GB and it boots fine. However, if I wanted to add the Maxtor 300GB it doesn't work. Perhaps something in the device manager or something that I need to change. Who knows, I'll figure it out sooner or later.

dunno bro I had many diff HDD's in at the same time on that mobo with vista and I didnt experience any weirdness, so I dont have a workaround for you.

Rattle said:
dunno bro I had many diff HDD's in at the same time on that mobo with vista and I didnt experience any weirdness, so I dont have a workaround for you.
Thanks for your insight, though. I'm not trying to format it on my computer, it's going on my dads.

E6600
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
4GB OCZ (4 x 1GB) Gold DDR2-800
eVGA 7900GS
Seagate 80GB SATAII
Seagate 320GB SATAII
2 x Maxtor 300GB SATAI
PC Power & Cooling 510w

you dads machine kicks ***, have you tried formatting with all the drives plugged in or are you plugging them in after?

I formatted the comp with all the drives plugged in. Right now he has the 80GB boot and the 320GB in. His 320GB has all his data so I'm not so pressured to get the other drives in there. I may just stick them in a home FTP server.

So I just tried to get one of the Maxtors in there. Let's just say Vista didn't agree with me. I would try and explain what Vista did but it's so far beyond stupid that I'd rather not talk about it. Screw trying to get Vista to boot with more than one or two HDDs in it. I'm so fed up with it. Setting up a home FTP is my goal now.

Oroka Sempai said:
So, your system will post, but you lose you display when Vista trys to boot?
Kind of. It wasn't giving me a monitor signal at all. I couldn't even get to the BIOS. But in some magical way I got one of the drives in and running. So I thought maybe since it allowed that drive, it will at least allow one of the Maxtors. So I plugged it up and get a whole different kind of problem. When the Maxtor is plugged in I get passed the initial boot and right before I get to Vista I get a bunch of different colors on the monitor.

Ya definatly disable UAC if you haven't gotten that already ;)

Harddrives... hmm Have you tried different ports on the mobo, switched them around and such. Tried a different cable? It really sounds like hardware to me.

Back