• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5B Dlx & E6400 & Tuniq Tower 120 == too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rurimoon

I have Asus P5B Deluxe & E6400 with Tuniq Tower 120 installed on P180 case. I have not overclock yet. But the temp seems too hot.
Both Intel TAT & Core Temp show idle temp of 45C for both core with 2133MHz(266.67 * 8).
SpeedFan show CPU as 42C and both core of 45C also..

Using TAT with workload of 100% for both core, the Temp is 80C for Core0 and 75 for Core1, SpeedFan show the CPU as 74C

With this kind of temp, I am not sure if I should clock at all. I heard the safe temp for E6400 is 60C, is that right? I don't think the CPU can handle anything higher than 80C, right?

tat workload is a little crazy on temps for anyone, see what you load out with TAT runnning orthos if you want a more standard load temp as far as how hot your cpu will get encoding or gaming.

45c does seem warm though I know people with 1500mhz OC's on air with 6400's that run 40c idle with the same cooler

Sounds like it was a bad seat. Try re-seating your heatsink. What kind of thermal paste did you use? Make sure you don't use to much or to little.

I try Orthos Stress CPU test for 10 min, @ stock speed, Core0 is 75C and Core1 is 70C.

I use Arctic Silver 3 Thermal compound.. I think it is good enough? May be I should use the one that come with the Tuniq Tower instead?

PS: when I install the tower, am I suppose to Tight the screws all the way in? The H type plate is on top of some resistors/capacitors and I scare the plate will crack them.

Thats way high for temps. I get 40-41c idle and 50-53c (orthos) load with the same setup overclocked to 3208mhz with a big typhoon which is supposedly about equal or slightly inferior to the tuniq 120. I can't give any advice on installation unfortunately.

I am running P5B-D + E6400 but used this
60_big.jpg

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/further_prod2.php?idx=60
instead of AS 5. I used AS5 before but this stuff is better.

I think you are experiencing the seating problem as others said. I am running my E6400 at 3.9 for every day used.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/pics/products/60_big.jpg

I'm running a P5B Deluxe + E6400 + Tuniq and at stock speeds I'm sitting at 31c idle/44 load, according to TAT. I'd say try a reseat.

EDIT: BTW, I hit about 41c with orthos.

(MY room temps are somewhere around 70-72F)

Last edited:
I've got pretty much the same setup. I am getting about 66C with TAT at 3400. At idle it is around 45C. No idea what the stock temps are since the last time I saw stock was during the XP install :beer: I did lap the base of my TT-120 and will be lapping the IHS on the CPU when I get around to buying the CM Stacker I have been looking at. Also my wire management in the P180 leaves a lot to be desired and I am sure that is causing my temps to go up a degree or two.

a pix of how it's installed inside the case would help as well - sometimes the cpu temps will depend on the airflow inside... also, tuniq is pretty picky about orientation.

Airflow in my case is quite good. there's a yate loon d12sl12 in the front and rear and one mounted over my RAM and kind of at the northbridge. The Tuniq is pointed toward the rear exhaust fan (which is only about an inch away from the Tuniq). So my airflow is quite good...perhaps that helps my lower temps? But then I'm also only up to 3.2, not 3.4 as orion25 is.

orion25, what voltage are you running to the CPU?

Oh and BTW, TAT measures higher numbers than Orthos does for me....so that could be another difference in our temps

EDIT: after looking back at my previous post, I forgot that I posted that before my OC. My temps now (with running 3.2) are around 41c idle, 50c-51c loaded with Orthos. TAT loads go all the way up as high as 58c.
And Tuniq and IHS are lapped. (not mirror but reflective)

Last edited:
jivetrky said:
orion25, what voltage are you running to the CPU?

Oh and BTW, TAT measures higher numbers than Orthos does for me....so that could be another difference in our temps

I am running 1.5 on the CPU. It is not stable at 3.4 any lower........ Don't get me wrong. I am not really concerned with the temps right now. When summer arrives I will most likely back down to 3.2 though.

Oh yean, Core Temp reports about 53C load while running dual prime and dual FAH.

OnDborder said:
3.9?
Would you mind putting up your system specs and a cpu-z shot?
BtW to you and rurimoon....
Welcome to the Forum!:welcome: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=491697

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=157726
157726.png

Spec
ASUS P5B-Deluxe
E 6400
2 x 1GB Kingston DDR 4200 (Micron D9 GCT)
Zalman CNPS 9700 LED
Enermax 1k Galaxy
2 x 160GB Hitachi SATA2 RAID0
2 x 320GB Seagate SATA2

I am running these cheap value Kingston RAM at 1:1
:beer:

PS. VDIMM - 2.35
VCORE - 1.65
The rest are "AUTO":beer::beer:

Last edited:
orion25 said:
I've got pretty much the same setup. I am getting about 66C with TAT at 3400. At idle it is around 45C. No idea what the stock temps are since the last time I saw stock was during the XP install :beer: I did lap the base of my TT-120 and will be lapping the IHS on the CPU when I get around to buying the CM Stacker I have been looking at. Also my wire management in the P180 leaves a lot to be desired and I am sure that is causing my temps to go up a degree or two.

UPDATE!!

I now have my CM Stacker 832! I lapped the 6400 before I installed it in the new case. Still have the P5B-D. I also installed Vista Preminum during the case transition and changed from a 7800GT to a X1950 Pro. CoreTemp now reports 59C on both cores running FAH on both cores. The only change is that I am at 3.28 now instead of 3.4.

Aside:

Safe temps with this processor under load should be under 60c?

I building a new rig now from the current rig I have now.
I'm getting 25c idle and 38 under load with my current rig. Guess new processors generate more heat than before.

This entire matter is a tangle, and it's largely a product of folks comparing apples and oranges.

For any of these numbers to make any sense, the following criteria have to be met:

1) The same mobo and CPU running at the same speed and FSB have to be used in the comparison.

2) The same tool for measuring temps has to be used and has to be configured in a common fashion.

3) The same benchmarks have to be used and each has to be run/executed in a common fashion.

4) The same, or very similar, case and case cooling configuration and HSF have to be used.

Want to see some numbers that'll make you feel as though your CPU is melting it's way through your case as you read post, well just look here:

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2967&p=4

Last edited:
Back