• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista BSOD !!! Critical!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vondoom

So, I just got done restarting after an insane bsod.. Everything that got put on my hdd as of 11 hours ago is GONE.... What could have caused the error? How/where do I check logs of this?

Start | In the 'Start Search' field, or from the Run box type eventvwr.msc, and click OK | Expand 'Windows Logs', and highlight Application and then System | Critical errors are in red... under the 'Level' column.

Well, just had it bsod on me again... I looked at the log and all it says is unexpected shutdown but I get alot of data loss...

Could this be part of the new realtek driver issue?

Vondoom said:
Well, just had it bsod on me again... I looked at the log and all it says is unexpected shutdown but I get alot of data loss...

Could this be part of the new realtek driver issue?
I don't know... why don't you start by telling us what your system specs are, and which version of Vista you're running.

Im running Vista Ultimate atm. I have never had this happen before, I have been running vista just fine for the past few months.

Well, the signed driver pop-ups were a headache so I never installed the ac'97 codecs..

The system is a E-Machine T-6412 or the T-6420

I have two extra hdds installed, a 200 and a 250, both Maxtors.
Then I have a evga geforce 7600 installed as well.

I dont know what could be causing this, Realtek drivers maybe?

Maybe a HDD failure?

I would suspect that your power supply is too weak. Maybe you could see how many watts it is rated for, and someone else can tell us if that sounds like too little.

Of course, the symptom of a weak power supply is usually random reboots, isn't it....?

Also, one experiment you could do to see if it is the power supply (if it crashes frequently) is to remove one or both of your extra hard drives to reduce the load on the power supply.

You know... I had something like this happen to me a few weeks ago, but I was still on RC2 then, and I didnt notice the data loss till a few days later and just wrote it off as a RC2 issue.

I think its only a 250/300..

Two extra hdds, a Upgraded vid card, and a few extras fans may be to much suppose.

Vondoom said:
I think its only a 250/300..

Two extra hdds, a Upgraded vid card, and a few extras fans may be to much suppose.

I'd start to suspect the power supply, then. I know from experience that it's easy to overlook and somewhat difficult to diagnose this when the crashes happen randomly. My brother's computer had a similar problem with blue screens, which seemed to be a software problem of some kind, but the PSU was the culprit in the end.

You might try the "experiment" I mentioned above, if nothing is preventing you from removing the extra drives.

edit: Also, those molex connectors that are often used to power extra fans probably should not be used inline with the hard drive power. I had one once that would cut power to the drive for a split second if it was wiggled a bit, causing a BSOD. I plug my drives straight into the molex connectors coming off the PSU.

Last edited:
what driver version did you use ? i know realtek has vista drivers out in case you arent using them .. that would def make vista bsod ..

I am using the latest drivers...

I'd start to suspect the power supply, then. I know from experience that it's easy to overlook and somewhat difficult to diagnose this when the crashes happen randomly. My brother's computer had a similar problem with blue screens, which seemed to be a software problem of some kind, but the PSU was the culprit in the end.

You might try the "experiment" I mentioned above, if nothing is preventing you from removing the extra drives.

edit: Also, those molex connectors that are often used to power extra fans probably should not be used inline with the hard drive power. I had one once that would cut power to the drive for a split second if it was wiggled a bit, causing a BSOD. I plug my drives straight into the molex connectors coming off the PSU.

I'll bet that is my problem.. I just put in two fans and hooked them straight on the hdd power line..

Back