• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP EULA question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acompdude

I guess that is an ok title. Anyway I sold a SP1a OEM unused disk and COA on eBay and the guy is saying that the disk is bad. This is part of the e-mail that he sent me:

When I used your CD to begin an install on a P/C I am trying to repair, it bombs with an error during Windows set-up load (it 'cannot read a file' from the CD). I tried another Windows CD (one from a different P/C than the one I am trying to replace) and it does load. As a test I tried to make a copy of your CD in my personal P/C, and it bombs out on the compare (many segments fails comparison) over several attempts.

Anyway, what I was wondering is if a SP2 OEM disk would work with the COA that he has. If that would not work then would another SP1a disk work? I am trying to keep from having to give his money back and be stuck with an opened SP1a disk that would be hard to resell since it is opened.

Thanks for any help on this subject.

Key for a SP1 is different than a key for SP2 so you cannot swap disc types.

If this is a real XP CD then his beef is with Microsoft and he needs to order replacement media.

Or his problem lies with defects in ram or the CD drive in his machine (which I personally find much more likely)

eaglescouter said:
Key for a SP1 is different than a key for SP2 so you cannot swap disc types.

If this is a real XP CD then his beef is with Microsoft and he needs to order replacement media.

Or his problem lies with defects in ram or the CD drive in his machine (which I personally find much more likely)
First of all yes it was a real XP disk. I wouldnt dare try to mess with Microsoft and counterfeiting or anything like that.

So would another SP1a disk work?

I actually think that the problem lies on his end also but like I said I am just trying to keep from him having to return it. I dont want it back since its been opened.

Back