• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xppro x64 install problems, is it a virus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swmpthng

:bang head i have been using xp pro x64 for 6 mos, i run anti-virus , windows defender, etc... on feb 15th, i booted system in the morning and x64 would not come up, i thought that is ok because i game with xp pro 32bit on another drive, i'll just reinstall x64 and that will be it , DADA, :bang head x64 and 32 bit installations will get to setup screen Enter to install, r to repair, f3 to cancel and that is it, i have no keyboard none of those three keys will work with 64 or 32 bit, i could not partition the drive, i formated twice, i was able to recover and save any file i wanted , i just cannot reinstall windows. the second time i formatted the drive i went to open it to be sure everything was gone and before my eyes it was rebuilding itself! :bang head iwas wathing files groooow!:mad: the freakin drive is possessed! i could not partition or format, i took it to compusa, they partitioned it for me, cool! i brought it home , crap, still won't load windows same problem. :bang head ahhh! i'll boot with 32 bit then hook up the drive then make a bootable disk and it will be done, crap 32 bit won't recognize the drive. wtf!!! :bang head Bios recognizes the drive wd740 sata , 32 bit recognized the drive before, i accessed any file i wanted and saved them to my 32 bit drive and i'm using those files now, why won't it recognize it now? when i try to boot system with it installed with other good drive it keeps defaulting to this drive and wants to install windows , i tried changing default hard drive xp won't let me i guess because this was my old c:.

:confused: does any of this make sense to anyone? is the drive dead? do i have some sort of unidentified virus or hijacking software ? i'm not new to all this i may not know all the correct terms but i have installed windows like 1000 times and have never had this problem, do you think vista might fix this, i have vista business through school . i have tried to find out if vista business is 64bit, all ms does is talk about all the cool stuff you can do with it, i just want to see, "vista business is a 64 bit operating system "
what do i have to do to figure this out.
bottom line what does everyone think i need to do with this drive, it is still under warranty so if drive went out i can send it back , if it is something else i waste money and time sending it to wd.:confused:

First thing I'd do is go to wd web site and down load there disc tools (or what ever they call it) and test the drive.

When you say format, did you zero it or just formated in windows set up.

Back