• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Non OC 1066 FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dragonsfirenh

So do I want to get PC4200 533 to run a Core 2 Duo at 1066? Or would I get better proformance from faster ram?

I am a n00b it is true.

Correct.
PC2-4200 = DDR533 = 266MHz
FSB1066 = 266MHz @ QDR
So PC2-4200 is what you need to run a C2D.

But since the price difference between PC4200 and the higher grades like PC5300 and even PC6400 is neglible these days I'd recommend the higher rated modules. Faster memory offers minimal gains to overall performance, but if you'r OC'ing the higher rated modules will make things easier.

Additionally, you may be able to get RAM rated for higher speeds to run lower latencies than memory rated at DDR533.

Yellowbeard XMS said:
Additionally, you may be able to get RAM rated for higher speeds to run lower latencies than memory rated at DDR533.

Not really true, most ddr533 have very tight timings compared to higher speed ram. If you turn highspeed ram down, it usually comes down to the same timings.

Unless you would have really expensive ram that is

One Bull said:
Not really true, most ddr533 have very tight timings compared to higher speed ram. If you turn highspeed ram down, it usually comes down to the same timings.

Unless you would have really expensive ram that is
It actually is true and I see postings of it daily. Many users are getting Promos based DDR800 memory to run CAS3 at 2.1v, DDR667. 2gb DDR800 kits using these ICs are well under $200 these days if you shop.

There is little to no memory rated at CAS3 at DDR533. There is simply no demand for it. While the DDR533 memory may actually be able to run CAS3, it has not been tested for that and will usually have a lower quality IC than a part made to run 667, 800, or faster. Good RAM and not necessarily "expensive RAM", which is a vague term, will typically allow lower latencies at slower speeds than their rated speeds. It all boils down to the ICs used, not the speed rating.

You can run DDR2-667 RAM at the 4:5 memory ratio at default Core 2 Duo speed (266 FSB), which means the RAM runs at 333 MHz frequency or DDR2-667 speed. That will give you a little more performance.

Fast RAM will generally run at tighter timings at lower speeds and/or with more voltage. For example, my Mushkin XP2-800 RAM is rated DDR2-800 using 4-4-3-10 @ 1.9v. I can do DDR2-667 speed using 3-3-3-6 @ 2.1v or DDR2-533 using 3-2-2-6 @ 2.2v.

Back