• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best place to get Vista Home Premium Retail 64bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hyperasus

Newegg has this here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116142

It says "Includes 32 bit DVD and information on obtaining 32 bit CDs or a 64 bit DVD". I don't want to shell $228 so I can get the flippen program then fallow some instructions on how to obtain a copy of the 64bit version in a week or 2. Isn't there somewhere that just sells Vista Home Premium that comes with both the 32bit and the 64bit version? Or, at very least just the 64bit copy. I can find the OEM copy here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116204

but I'd rather stay away from the OEM version if I can help it.

Its a good question. Newegg used to say the same thing on the Ultimate description, but now it says "Includes 32 bit and 64 bit DVD's and information on obtaining 32 bit CD's, additional fee may apply."

Definitely worth a call to find out.

The only reason I bought early was I found it shipped with both versions. This way I can play with 32 bit for now and go 64 bit, as I planned to do when better drivers are available.

The ones in best buy are 32 bit only, I just picked up my Home Premium Retail and it only has the 32 bit version with a paper that says:

"Includes 32 bit and 64 bit DVD's and information on obtaining 32 bit CD's, additional fee may apply."

It is $10 for the 64-bit dvd and then another $6 if you want it rushed(which is what I did, since it was like 2-5days vs 10-15 days or something ridiculous)

The only one I have found is a 3 pack so far..

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-64-bit-Builders/dp/B000LP5EQY

Falcon-K said:
The ones in best buy are 32 bit only, I just picked up my Home Premium Retail and it only has the 32 bit version with a paper that says:

"Includes 32 bit and 64 bit DVD's and information on obtaining 32 bit CD's, additional fee may apply."

It is $10 for the 64-bit dvd and then another $6 if you want it rushed(which is what I did, since it was like 2-5days vs 10-15 days or something ridiculous)

The only one I have found is a 3 pack so far..

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-64-bit-Builders/dp/B000LP5EQY

I'm gonna be pretty ticked if my Ultimate dosent include both 32 and 64 as advertised. :-/

Even that three pack is no good because it's the OEM version. It's looking like if you want something that comes with both versions then Vista Ultimate is the only option. Way to power noob it Microsoft. Seriously. Who the hell wants to go out and buy a new copy of windows, then wait a week for the disc to come in the mail before it can be installed. Can it be purchased and downloaded online? I can't even figure out where to by the retail copy on windows website. All I can find is the worthless upgrade versions. This is so frustrating. Once again M$ makes it extra miserable for the paying customers.

I believe that if you buy the OEM version, it does not have both 32 and 64bit versions. I would look into that before buying an OEM copy from Newegg.

buy a retail ultimate instead of home premium, only get the upgrade version. it installs the whole thing (look around the forums here, you'll find the how-to).

that will get you both 32 and 64 disks. all for the price of a home premium full install.

for good price on that, check amazon. i know, might not be the first place we'd look for computer stuff but you might find some good deals there from time to time.

I considered the Upgrade route, but honestly dont you think that Microsoft will close this loophole sooner or later? That doesnt bother anyone?

Basically, as it stands now you do not need ANY previous version of Windows to use an Upgrade version of Vista. Defeats the purpose right? I just cant see Microsoft accepting the loss of giving away Full versions at Upgrade cost.

This has to be corrected sometime, and I dont want to be stuck with needing to load XP, then Vista overtop of it. Yea, I am paranoid and lazy! :eek:

If you dont want to wait for the disk, just download a 64bit ISO, burn it, then install it. The same key will work.

What I did was install Vista from a disk I downloaded but didnt enter a key, then ordered a OEM copy. When I got the OEM, I entered the key into the install and it activated no problem.

Surfrider77 said:
I considered the Upgrade route, but honestly dont you think that Microsoft will close this loophole sooner or later? That doesnt bother anyone?

Basically, as it stands now you do not need ANY previous version of Windows to use an Upgrade version of Vista. Defeats the purpose right? I just cant see Microsoft accepting the loss of giving away Full versions at Upgrade cost.

This has to be corrected sometime, and I dont want to be stuck with needing to load XP, then Vista overtop of it. Yea, I am paranoid and lazy! :eek:
They can't edit your DVD installer disc and if you have a qualifying OS install disc, you should be golden.

They can edit any new ones they produce however.

I have W2k which qualifies and they can't deregister W2k as you don't need to activate after installing. Not that I have any need to use it anymore.

Can someone please provide a link showing how Vista Ultimate upgrade can be used for a fresh install.

Last edited:
Audioaficionado said:
They can't edit your DVD installer disc and if you have a qualifying OS install disc, you should be golden.

They can edit any new ones they produce however...

Bolded & underlined text being the key point.

I'd wager $1 that it will be fixed in SP1, if not before.

A Microsoft spokeswoman said in an e-mail that the company is "well aware of the workaround," which she added "violates the terms of use agreed to when they purchased the upgrade version of Windows Vista.

As such, we believe only a very small percentage of people will take the time to implement this workaround, and we encourage all customers to follow our official guidelines for upgrading to Windows Vista, which can be found at www.WindowsVista.com, instead."

http://cwflyris.computerworld.com/t/1282351/35660118/51765/2/

I read that little PR message before, but I still dont think it will stop Microsoft from changing the loophole. Hell, I wouldnt put it past them to allow people to continue this Upgrade without any prior Windows OS key scheme for a while. Then sit back and laugh when said "small percentage of people" are forced to go out and buy another (Full version) of Vista when an update is implemented for all those Upgrade activations to prompt for a prior OS key.

Mark my words... :)

Surfrider77 said:

they cannot without replacing the disk itself. they actually already said something to that effect.

I understand that you can physically load it. I am talking about activation. Specifically people using Upgrade Vista without previous OS keys. There is nothing stopping microsoft to change the activation process to prompt people to enter old OS keys to prove valid Upgrades.

Surely they can figure this out?

Surfrider77 said:
I understand that you can physically load it. I am talking about activation. Specifically people using Upgrade Vista without previous OS keys. There is nothing stopping microsoft to change the activation process to prompt people to enter old OS keys to prove valid Upgrades.

Surely they can figure this out?
There is really no way they could enforce this through activation as far as I know.

well, that's the point - there's no provision to check on the xp key, as far as i know.

Back