• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista and HDCP not needed for watching HD-DVD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's only because currently the studios haven't enabled the flag that requires HDCP. They know most consumers don't have HDCP hardware yet. At this time, HDCP is not required to view high def and it won't be until the studios start flipping the flag to on.

If AnyDVD actually released a product that removed AACS commercially, it would be a felony violation of the DMCA (Digital Milennium Copyright Act) as a circumvention of copyright and they could be incarcerated for it as well as the product would be removed. And believe me, the RIAA/MPAA wouldn't hesitate to go after them.

All that that program does is decrypt HD-DVD on the fly the way any other legal HD-DVD player does, using the keys provided to it under license. In the event that AnyDVD actually chose to provide high def content that did have the HDCP flag set to on over a non-HDCP connection, it's AACS keys would be revoked and it would no longer be able to decrypt HD-DVD's (and it would be in violation of the DMCA).

Their site claims that it:

'Removes encryption (AACS) from HD-DVDs'

Since they aren't based in the US they aren't subject to the DMCA.

Exactamundo! Slysoft is based in Antigua, which is southeast of Puerto Rico. (oh how I love to be back there with those 'rican girls :drool: )

I must say that it does work quite well. Using my 360 HD-dvd player, I was able to load and watch Batman Returns and King Kong (I own both) on my computer.

Each disc takes up like 28Gb, making it improbable to copy them. But having the abiltity to watch the movies I purchase where ever I want is a big plus. My computer is an X2 4400, and a 7800GT, and I was unable to play any movies due to the HDMI issue. Now it works great.

It kinda sucked only being able to play my movies through my 360, since I only have one monitor, I could only watch a movie, or use the computer. Now I can do both.

I read other forums that the universial key that slysoft and others are using can possibly be revoked, negating this program.

I support HD-dvd more than blu-balls, so I hope that this program helps make HD-dvd the standard.

But it probably won't and we will all become slaves of sony eventually. :-/

MRD said:
That's only because currently the studios haven't enabled the flag that requires HDCP. They know most consumers don't have HDCP hardware yet. At this time, HDCP is not required to view high def and it won't be until the studios start flipping the flag to on.

If AnyDVD actually released a product that removed AACS commercially, it would be a felony violation of the DMCA (Digital Milennium Copyright Act) as a circumvention of copyright and they could be incarcerated for it as well as the product would be removed. And believe me, the RIAA/MPAA wouldn't hesitate to go after them.

All that that program does is decrypt HD-DVD on the fly the way any other legal HD-DVD player does, using the keys provided to it under license. In the event that AnyDVD actually chose to provide high def content that did have the HDCP flag set to on over a non-HDCP connection, it's AACS keys would be revoked and it would no longer be able to decrypt HD-DVD's (and it would be in violation of the DMCA).

I think it actually does remove / bypass the HDCP requirement. At least that's what it claims to do.

Which can only be a good thing, because many of us have high quality monitors, TVs and projectors, capable of displaying HD content but without HDCP support, and a Spatz box costs about £200.

AWESOME. I always thought it was BS that you could have hardware capable of playing HD, but you had to have 'compatible' hardware to run it. Props to these guys.:clap:

Back