• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 512MB Dimms in an AI7 @ FSB 5:4 - 250Mhz - Good Idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pedwar

Registered
Hi all,

Just a quick question, with my below spec what is everyones experience on putting another 2x 512MB DIMMS in there (more Corsair TWINX 3200XL PROs) to take me up to 2GB.

Do you think I will see some instabilities with the system running running the RAM at CAS2-2-5-2 ? (FSB still at 200Mhz for the RAM though)

Are the AI7s ok at pumping out that much juice to feed 4x 512MB DIMMS?

Just wanted to give the system a bit more life before an upgrade for Battlefield 2142 and Quake 4?

Thanks,

It should be fine. I'm running 2x512mb OCZ BH-UTT and 2x512mb Corsair Value at 200mhz in my AI7 with no problems. (2.5-3-3-7, 2.6v)

I also run 4x512mb OCZ TCCD in my IC7-g at 242mhz 2.5-3-3-5, 2.65v.

Are you going to be able to get another set of matching IC's? If not you'll probably have to back off to looser timings & TAADD or AAADD.

Ok, I might give that go then, from what I can see I can still get hold of the Same Corsair RAM with the 2-2-5-2 timings, I'm hoping to keep it at that rather than drop the timings back.

I just didn't want to hurt my rock solid overclock (that's been like that for quite a long time now :) ) as I've heard sometimes when you start putting more DIMMS in things start getting a bit unstable, but I wasn't sure if that was just with high FSB speeds, something I'm not really doing.

Not really messed with filling up all the slots in the past as I've always just gone to the next gen machine, although this one seems to be holding its ground quite well.

what are you using to test stability? i use memtest-86 and prime found on Ultimate Boot CD.
it's great for testing without risk of corrupting your OS :D.

the AI7 gets it's voltage from the 5v line rather than the 3.3v
so it should be able to handle it as far as power.

i have 2x256mb BH-5 sticks and 2x512mb BH-5. running the two
256mb sticks i was able to run 290mhz FSB running the 5:4 divider (2-3-2-5 3.1v).
going to 2x512mb sticks i can't clock nearly as high, even tho
all my sticks top out around 230mhz FSB 2-2-2-5 3.1v 1:1.
i think the memory controller has a harder time running dividers when more memory is added.

i'd save your money for your next build. you got a gig of RAM,
and your at 3.5Ghz. to get there i have to run the 3:2 divider :bang head

the C2D's look amazing. i've been itchin to get one.

let us know what you end up doing :beer:

Back