• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh whats wrong?? Dirty Vista is annoying me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IrelandMadMan

Hello hello

I went out today and bought an OEM version of Vista Premium 64, and I cant even install it, any ideas?

Right I have my DVD at first boot device, click any key to boot from cd, do that then it just continues on to loading XP.

If I try and install from within windows it aint workin either?

Anyone have any ideas?

What happens when trying to install from Windows?

What is the hardware you are trying to install on?

are you using a USB keyboard?

I've had issues with some computers where the keyboard wasnt even picked up until windows finished loading....

boot XP, and then pop the DVD in and let autorun take over.. click install... that should get you around your issue atm.

I would personally remove your HDD from the boot list completely. Go into bios and select BOOT FROM CDROM only. Completely remove your HDD from the boot list. After you format and install Vista, upon the first reboot quickly go into the bios and move your HDD back onto the list.

Normally with a fresh install you want any and all hard drives that you do not need (hint hint.. that contain another OS on them) completely powered down and removed from the rig. This is the best way to prevent any problems from happening.

Got it :) It was my wireless keyboard, I normally do things back to front, I should have changed the keyboard before I started stripping out dvd drives from my other machine and playing in the bios for an hour but sure.

Thanks for the replies

Vista looks great, just finding my way, so far no driver problems accept for sound. I downloaded a driver from dfi's site but cant load it, there is a pdf guide on installing it so im just downloading the reader now to see what it says.

Apart from that its all great :)

Glad to see someone enjoy Vista and not whine about how no one should get Vista till SP1.

Download the ultimate extra DreamScene, then get DreamScape from Stardock and check out the cool video wallpapers. A bit of a cpu hog, but damn it is cool.

Oroka Sempai said:
Glad to see someone enjoy Vista and not whine about how no one should get Vista till SP1.

Download the ultimate extra DreamScene, then get DreamScape from Stardock and check out the cool video wallpapers. A bit of a cpu hog, but damn it is cool.

I just bought it knowing that there might be a few hicups here and there, probably some people buy it thinking its gonna be perfect then want to have a we cry :)

It does look great, and some great features packed in there. Ive never had media centre before so that a nice bonus also.
Just still having problems with my sound, I bought a new speaker system today also so im just busting to get it workin.

My internet speeds are a bit all over the place aswell. For the first few hours of running suppose these are only minor problems, glad I bought it.

Must check out the Dreamscene :beer:

Ascii2 said:
Don't worry, they will come.

Murphy's Law: "If it can go wrong, it will go wrong".

To be honest if i had of turned on my computer for the first time and everything had of worked perfectly it just would have been a little boring wouldnt it?

Working through the minor problems gave me a bit of joy, and I am by no means an expert. If anything it just made me a little more familiar with Vista.

Also if you constantly wait and look for things to go wrong then yes they probably will, you gotta be positive though ;)

Oh by the way, what problems should I expect then?

IrelandMadMan said:
Vista will turn your pets against you as you sleep. So when you wake up they've left 'presents' in all of your shoes :rolleyes:

Seriously though, nice to see someone saying they're liking Vista rather than bashing it. I wont be getting it any time soon, but that's because of money rather than wanting to wait till SP1 (although that is another advantage).

IrelandMadMan said:
To be honest if i had of turned on my computer for the first time and everything had of worked perfectly it just would have been a little boring wouldnt it?

Working through the minor problems gave me a bit of joy, and I am by no means an expert. If anything it just made me a little more familiar with Vista.

Also if you constantly wait and look for things to go wrong then yes they probably will, you gotta be positive though ;)

Exactly. Alot of us did that with XP, and we got stagnant since XP was allowed to mature this much, and there are still bugs being worked out of it.

I have been getting the 'CCOM' crashing alot... dont know what it is, but nothing stops working when it crashes.

Back