• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sell or else!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wish ed was alittle less shallow in his thinking. This is actually a positive if Microsoft is selling more copies of Vista and replacing XP very quickly. The faster they replace XP the more of their support people that can be dedicated to supporting Vista resulting in a much better OS in a shorter amount of time.

Speed Bump does have valid point, But I still would like a choice about some things in life ..

Seems to be a little too much "you'll run what we damn well say on your system".

Large percentage buyers will be able to force XP instead with minimal effort. You cant force Companies to use an as of yet not completely tested OS that isnt even fully compatible.

When XP came out there were Company memo's that stated DO NOT UPGRADE, without even a single SP out yet I dont see too many companies willing to split their systems between 2k (it IS still in use and supported by MS), XP (what is the coverage of this again?) and Vista (just released and most HelpDesks arent going to be trained on its quirks yet).

It is smart that they start trying to push it harder but I dont think that they will be able to MANDATE that you take it if you yell enough to your sales rep.(I personally deal with 4k+ laptops on this contract)

speed bump said:
I wish ed was alittle less shallow in his thinking. This is actually a positive if Microsoft is selling more copies of Vista and replacing XP very quickly. The faster they replace XP the more of their support people that can be dedicated to supporting Vista resulting in a much better OS in a shorter amount of time.
That sounds logical however I'm sure Microsoft was thinking the exact same thing when they came out with Windows ME. We know how that went. ;)

If MS can't entice people to buy Vista on its merits, then they will force people by making it the only (legal) choice.

That Vista isn't allowed to compete with XP speaks volumes - to me at least - about how much faith MS has in its shiny new OS.

Last edited:
Adragontattoo said:
Large percentage buyers will be able to force XP instead with minimal effort. You cant force Companies to use an as of yet not completely tested OS that isnt even fully compatible.

When XP came out there were Company memo's that stated DO NOT UPGRADE, without even a single SP out yet I dont see too many companies willing to split their systems between 2k (it IS still in use and supported by MS), XP (what is the coverage of this again?) and Vista (just released and most HelpDesks arent going to be trained on its quirks yet).

It is smart that they start trying to push it harder but I dont think that they will be able to MANDATE that you take it if you yell enough to your sales rep.(I personally deal with 4k+ laptops on this contract)

I have probably said this before but - my employer use Windows 2000 workstations for their staff and only use XP on machines that specifically need it (kit we have that needs XP includes an LCMS, a few UV/Vis and a fibre optic probe set.

We don't even *need* XP let alone Vista. It'd be a support nightmare if we started buying Vista workstations.

While I don't agree with it I see why they are doing it. Why pay people to know and support both products when they can cover just one. With XP being so widely used and popular I don't think its good for PR though.Bbut when you have a monopoly that really isn't important.

David said:
I have probably said this before but - my employer use Windows 2000 workstations for their staff and only use XP on machines that specifically need it (kit we have that needs XP includes an LCMS, a few UV/Vis and a fibre optic probe set.

We don't even *need* XP let alone Vista. It'd be a support nightmare if we started buying Vista workstations.

I work for a large public university system in the U.S. We have no plans to deploy Vista. However, I know of a large university system (25K+ seats) in New York which is transitioning to Vista very soon. Makes me wonder how much Microsoft is granting to their CS department.

M$ keeps doing this and forcing us to accept what they are dishing out. (poop)

I actually got brave enuff & installed Linux. (Ubuntu) and even the wife likes it.

Now what does that say?!!!!???? :p

I honestly can't believe they are taking XP offline.

It just dumbfounds me.

you know that microsoft made it illegal to sell a laptop without an OS (possibly a desktop too, but i'm unsure)? they claim that if a laptop has no OS it is most likely that the person receiving the laptop will pirate windows on it, so it is actually illegal to. this is the answer i got directly from HP's technical support when asking for a laptop with no OS. I don't see a point in purchasing a laptop with $100-200 on top of its already inflated price for an operating system that i am going to remove the moment i receive the laptop :eek:. at any rate, HP does offer linux pre-installed laptops, but they cost an arm and a leg as they are business class ($3K+ when i was checking). if i'm not mistaken they charge you for RHEL as well, which is like $60 :S (i hate redhat)

MS gives you reasons every day on why you should drop them and seek and alternative.

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/02/19/2212213.shtml
Dell opened up a customer feed back website and the number 1 request is Linux Preinstalled; it beat out complaints about their tech support being in India. Hopefully Dell will see these numbers and respond positively to them. I hope this will make Dell show that there is an actual cost to having Windows ship with the computer instead of burying the cost.

There are options out there and for the vast majority of computer users, there is no NEED to stay with MS.

edit: yes, dell has been selling linux machines for a few years, but you have to know where to look for them and they are really only for businesses. www.dell.com/linux

Last edited:
Kamel said:
you know that microsoft made it illegal to sell a laptop without an OS (possibly a desktop too, but i'm unsure)? they claim that if a laptop has no OS it is most likely that the person receiving the laptop will pirate windows on it, so it is actually illegal to. this is the answer i got directly from HP's technical support when asking for a laptop with no OS. I don't see a point in purchasing a laptop with $100-200 on top of its already inflated price for an operating system that i am going to remove the moment i receive the laptop :eek:. at any rate, HP does offer linux pre-installed laptops, but they cost an arm and a leg as they are business class ($3K+ when i was checking). if i'm not mistaken they charge you for RHEL as well, which is like $60 :S (i hate redhat)

Are you sure that HP weren't bulls**tting you? There has been quite a lot of publicity recently of people getting refunds from Dell both in the UK and the US. They bought machines which came with windows pre-installed, and because they didn't want to use it they got their money back.

http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/03/227237

I don't know how many have been successful in doing this.

Last edited:
I suggest people wait for Vista SP2 comes out, at that point the new Windows (code named Figi right now) should be close to being out, so you should stick to XP till Figi is out. When Fiji is released, I suggest you wait till SP2 is out. By the time SP2 is out, the modular Windows should be close to being released, so you should wait for that, but hold off till SP2. By then Google will have a OS and you can ***** about how horrible Google is.

It will NOT be 6 years till the next version of Windows, 2-3 years at most. I suggest you all give me your computers right now and I will save you the hassel of every upgrading to the next crap version of Windows.

Back