• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Attempt at OC'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Richie13

Hi folks,

I seem to have gotten my cooling problem in check thanks to a few new case fans and a BIOS update to 13, but I'm still using the stock Intel FHS. These first photos are of my stock stats.

gurustock.jpg

cpuzStock.jpg

Last edited:
Here is where I'm at now. The temperature is at idle. I'd have to download one of the utilities to see what it is under load.

guru333F.jpg

After using the computer for several hours with a FSB of 340, I upped it to 350 and got an error after a few minutes and had to reboot. The uGuru utility automatically reverted the settings back to 333 FSB. Windows came up with some sort of memory error. Perhaps 340FSB is the limit using the ram I have.

Richie

Hi Deanzo,

The information Batbay and yourself have posted really is amazing, thank you both.

I did make all the necessary adjustments to DRAM, Vcore, MCH & PCIe, and increasing FSB incrementally. However, at 375FSB, as soon as I clicked within the uGuru utility, the screen froze. Within seconds, the alarm started to beep and I had to reset the computer and reboot. Within the BIOS, I noticed the CPU temp had rose to 58C from 37C. Obviously my limiting factor is this damn heat sink. I'm going to purchase one of the better ones this week, possibly the one Batbay had recommened. I'm also going to look into removing the heat sinks on the NB and SB, and use AS5 on those too. I'll keep you all posted and thank you for your assistance.

Richie

therookie said:
what a difference ....

Therookie,

You should have seen my face:eek:, especially with my Intel FHS spinning at 2,100 RPM's.

Prior to making the adjustments, I upped both my case fan voltages to 8v, so the CPU at that time was nice and cold at 36c. So that was surely a huge jump in temp.

For the record, my problem is certainly a cooling issue and by no means a short-coming with this mobo. I think Abit's AW9D-Max is an amazing piece of work. In fact, just as Batboy had pointed out, when the mods go bad, this mobo rarely requires the user to clear the CMOS. Three times this computer froze and each time, once rebooted, it automatically reverts to the last known stable settings. I don't know if other mobo's do that, but this one sure does and works every time.

I'm going to purchase either the Zalman CNPS7700-CU copper FHS, which Batboy recommend and will work with my setup, or the Tuniq Tower 120. I don't know if the Tuniq will fit, but if I find that the Tuniq can be purchased with a fan, I would consider it.

I'll update this thread after I purchase and install the new FHS and make a mod to my NB & SB heat sinks.

Richie

Remember, I recommended the Zalman 7700 mainly because you wanted quiet. I put one of those on a buddy's E6300 running at 2.8 gig (modest O/C) and it's running flawlessly. My wife has one on her 940 Presler and we have it turned way down with the fan controller that comes in the package. It's super quiet and way better than the stock Intel cooler. But, there are better cooling heatsinks available if you really want a good O/C, like the Tuniq Tower for example. I personally don't know if it'll fit the AW9D, but I'm assuming it does since it's a heatpipe design.

Hi Bat,

Yep, quiet is very important since the TV is in the same room as the computer. For now, I've turned down the OC to 320 FSB and a memory ratio of 4:5 to keep the ram in proper spec. All voltages have been reduced to stock so temps are sitting low at 38C-39C. At least it's rock stable at this moderate OC.

Richie

Back