• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AIM 6 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

Using AIM 6.0 and Firefox 1.5.0.9

When signing in, is there any way to stop AIM from trying to open the "my.screenname.aol.com" tab? AdHack took care of that with AIM 5.9, but it doesn't seem to be working this time. The usual hosts file blocking doesn't seem to be working either...well, I can stop the site from loading, but I'd love to get rid of it entirely.

Yeah, that's really irritating... I block the site from loading with /etc/hosts, but it still opens firefox and tries to open it (and errors out).

I've never found a way to prevent it from opening firefox.

If you figure it out let me know, it's annoying as hell.

I know this is going to come off like a "HURR USE FIREFOX LOL HURR"-type post, but along with Trillian as posted there are alternatives ie:

GAIM,

or my new personal favorite client: AIM Lite (I switched to this from AIM ad hack 5.9x). Tabbed browsing, working direct connect, IM logging, offline IMs, no ads (it's by aol but they use it as a test-bed app), you can edit familiar names for buddies but hover over them to see the normal SCN's like ichat, and it's extremely lightweight. The only issues are that it doesn't support saving away messages and it doesn't have a working webcam plugin yet, but they're currently working on adding those features. It's great other than that. Currently using 10mb of ram.

and

Last edited:
hmm.. i cant belive this.. None of you help..

For aim, Sign in, press f7 (options) go to signin/signout tab and chance the aim today to none.

Wow thanks, lol... I've been living with that forever.

wizard james said:
hmm.. i cant belive this.. None of you help..

For aim, Sign in, press f7 (options) go to signin/signout tab and chance the aim today to none.
well, WJ- you beat me to the punch on that. However, anybody got any ideas how to remove the ads?

wizard james said:
http://aftermath.dyndns.org/

Iv been using this versions for over a year
Awesome- the site's back up (was down most of last week at least). Was trying to grab the new aim6 version for my little brother and ended up having to grab the 5.3 beta from a mirror. Should probably grab the 5.41 version before it goes down again. :rolleyes:

I'll just add my two cents--

I use Gaim, which imo, looks alot like iChat except it doesnt have all the eye candy and might be stripped down a little too( I dont have iChat to compare the two face to face)

Back