• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you do with your partitions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rickster

I have a raptor and I run windows on 10GB partition. The other 60GB are for games. Not such a good idea since some games tend to use the windows partition for something or rather. I have no idea why people partition their harddrives unless they want to dual boot. What are the advantages?

If you need to reinstall windows you can wipe the 10 Gig partition and overwrite it without touching your data or programs.

Partitions are even more useful with Matrix RAID where you can have two partitions each running a different RAID level.

I use mine just as physical seperations. I could do what I use partitions for with folders... but I just prefer having a drive for diffrent stuff.

2x250GB Western Digital SATA2

Primary HDD
100GB for Windows
150GB for Misc stuff

Secondary HDD
125GB for Media (music, video)
125GB for Software (install exe, ISOs, RARs).

I like haveing 2 of everything... I really dont need a second HDD, but I have some redundancy there, makes me warm and fuzzy inside. I bought two identical HDDs with the intention of learning RAID, but I am not sure it is really worth the hassel now. Appearantly it is easier to do with Vista though.

Rickster said:
I have no idea why people partition their harddrives unless they want to dual boot.
Simple really, at least one partition must exist on a hard disk to install an operating system; without a partition there is . I have never encountered an operating system that would work with (except for partitioning) raw hard disks.

I have 3 hard drives. 2 74GB raptors in raid 0. 1 250 WD for storage. I'm thinking of getting one of the Western Digital Passports to put my music on because I listen to music on both my laptop and my desktop. It's annoying having to organize music in 2 different places.

I have 2 disks (1x250, 1x200).

The first disk has a 10GB Windows partition, and another partition for installations, general storage, and my pagefile, since C: is getting cramped with all sorts of misc. crap that programs stick into the main Windows directory (this needs to change, somehow...)

The second is one partition, and it backs up some of the general storage and also stores some stuff that I don't care to make redundant. There is still 10GB unformatted on that one, reserved for Linux.

Omsion, how do you place your pagefile on another partition besids the one on where windows is installed? And what I normally do is have two partitions and have 10GB for windows and the rest for misc. stuff like games and music. but for some reason there are some files that refuse to go to the partition i install them to. they seem to like my windows partition and I can't change it.

And I like partitioning it mainly because reformatting is so much faster and defragmenting is also so much faster.

If you have a rather large single drive it is a good idea to have two seperate partitions. One for data and the other for applications, OS, games, and pagefile. Splitting up OS, applications and pagefile is just a bad idea, for performance reasons.

However, I prefer just having two drives instead of using partitions.

Just keep in mind that partitions slow drive performance. They do aid in convenience and organization, but add to head movement which results in longer access times.

The same way you would normally change your pagefile size, just set certain partitions to No Pagefile, and the one you want to whatever.
asdfdi0.jpg

As I said, the reason it's on this partition is because C: is being cluttered by Documents and Settings stuff. Bad, bad Documents and Settings. Next time around, I'm slipstreaming that to a bigger partition.

As for the performance hit, haven't noticed it, if any, especially since the 16MB cache probably makes up for it over my old computer.

Omsion - Yeah I knew those options, but was scared to turn off the pagefile on a partition.

BrutalDrew - You said one partition for data and the other for OS, games, application. So what kind of data do you keep besides OS, games, applications and the pagefile?

I'm planning to just installed all my games, applications and OS on my raptor. And since I've got another drive I'll just use that for my media and work. That way I can maximise performance while still maintaining organisation. BTW, how can I go about changing the partition size? At the moment I've got a HDD that has 2 partitions. I want to clear that up and join it up to a whole. I'm not going to use it for OS. I know that in windows I can right click the drive and select re-format, but I still want to destroy the partition, not sure how Im going to go about that.

Rickster said:
BTW, how can I go about changing the partition size? At the moment I've got a HDD that has 2 partitions. I want to clear that up and join it up to a whole. I'm not going to use it for OS. I know that in windows I can right click the drive and select re-format, but I still want to destroy the partition, not sure how Im going to go about that.

Windows can't do it natively - hard drive managers like PartitionMagic can. I don't know of any free/shareware software that can do this.

QTParted, Gparted can do it (both linux based, but available on livecd's such as knoppix). They can dynamically resize windows partitions as well (ntfs and fat/fat32). These are free software (GPL).

If you use partition magic or one of these, back up first, as if there is something somewhat corrupt with the partition going in, they can really screw it up a lot.

BrutalDrew said:
If you have a rather large single drive it is a good idea to have two seperate partitions. One for data and the other for applications, OS, games, and pagefile. Splitting up OS, applications and pagefile is just a bad idea, for performance reasons.

However, I prefer just having two drives instead of using partitions.

Also QUOTED:
Jon

Just keep in mind that partitions slow drive performance. They do aid in convenience and organization, but add to head movement which results in longer access times.

I am interested in learning more about these two quotes.

What can be split up and how would you suggest?

Also, how many partitions are too many?

Foolios said:
I am interested in learning more about these two quotes.

What can be split up and how would you suggest?

Also, how many partitions are too many?

Everybody is going to have a different opinion on what's best. I have 2 partitions on my main disk because I'm dual booting. If it weren't for that I'd use 1 big partition, and do my organizing through folders. I keep my main pagefile on my secondary drive, and have a small pagefile on my O/S drive for crash logs to aid in debugging.

Defragmenting speed is a non issue. If you have Vista it'll take care of itself, if XP or other just defragment every couple of months or so when you go to bed. It doesn't matter how much time it takes when you aren't sitting there watching it ;)

+1 on Gparted for resizing partitions. I use an Ubuntu install disk, but you can download a standalone version from Source Forge.

Edit: just for clarity I have a second physical drive with 1 partition that my pagefile and data is kept on, and my working drive has XP and Vista along with my working files in 2 partitions.

I generally will use one partition for windows (if I have windows, which I don't on most pc's), one per linux distro or bsd distro, one for a boot partition for all the linux distros combined, and one for a swap distro which is shared to save space.

I don't use a data partition, although this makes sense for some, because I use a file server for this purpose.

Back