• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for software to remotely control a PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crofty83

Im looking for some software to remotely control a PC on my network. I've tried VNC but it shows an icon in the systray and idealy i'd like an app that runs totally in the background without the other user knowing.

Any ideas :)

are you running XP .. If so Remote desktop ???? I would go against VNC. Had some issues, but it is ok now . I do like Norton's Pcanywhere ...

Use TightVNC and add/modify the following registry entry as appropriate:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\DisableTrayIcon DWORD "1"

There should be a valid reason for doing this, however.

Jon said:
Use TightVNC and add/modify the following registry entry as appropriate:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\DisableTrayIcon DWORD "1"

There should be a valid reason for doing this, however.

does this method work on RealVNC as well?

smokie mcpott said:
does this method work on RealVNC as well?

No. RealVNC gives no capability for removing the taskbar icon due to ethical concerns. You have to actually alter the source in order to do it (no source available).

There is a workaround, but it's not a feasible option in a work environment.

Of course with the admin right at the target PC, you actually can push install it over network using
this small powerfull script and it works on many flavours of VNC, including yours "wink" :)

Just fyi, using small & lite version like TightVNC, actually you could do remote install even on dial-up.:beer:

I have to ask what your reason for doing this is...

This sounds unethical (or like the kind of thing I would have done to prank my college roommate).

Back