• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

going back in time...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmt391

I have recently been playing alot of older dos games, and dosbox sometimes just doesn't cut it in the more resource demanding ones.

So i wanted to try running them in DOS. I downloaded a boot diskette for it, and it works. (I couldnt figure out right from left in that damn command prompt but that's another problem for later)

I just want to know if i need anything like special drivers and whatnot to make games run properly on my system using DOS.

And also do I need to save the games on the disc with DOS or can I access my c drive from it? (right now it says A:\> which is my floppy drive)

The main problem with it is that DOS won't support most modern hardware. For example, you probably won't have support for PCI sound cards, and definitely not for AGP/PCIe graphics cards (you might get basic VGA support, but not super VGA... basic vga is 320x200x256 or 640x480x16).

I tried running DOS for a time but gave up since I couldn't get any sound to work (SB Live! PCI) and there were no drivers for my graphics card.

No one bothers to write DOS drivers anymore (understandably).

bahh i kinda wanted to learn how to use dos first of all and be able to run games like lemmings and stuff without emulating it i thought it would be cool. oh well i guess duke nukem and whatnot will just have to leave my mind... UGH! lol

not sure what a virtual machine is, but i supposed I'll give it a try and figure it out

A virtual machine lets you run another os from within a host os without rebooting. I believe you can also create hardware parameters that the client os sees as being real. eg cpu speed, ram quantity things like that. It's used a lot by developers to try software on different systems without putting it into different machines. I really don't know how it works, but now my curiosity's piqued. I think I'll give it a try myself :)

that sounds interesting - It's too complicated sounding for me right now as I'm really tired but tomorrow I'll give it a try - just a question: when it asks if you want the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version is is asking about the CPU or OS? I'm assuming CPU since it says architecture but I'm not sure.

Back