• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA Connectors & RAID 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogelah

Registered
I have 4 SATA drives (of equal size) that I want to set up as RAID 10. I also have a SATA DVD. What would be the best use of the 6 SATA ports (RED & BLACK) to achieve this configuration?

TIA

Let me see if I can guess what board you are thinking of. TRS-80? Amiga? Commadore 64? Ahhhhh, I crack myself up.

We're not psychics! :eh?: List some specs and I'm sure you'll get more help.

I can say that you'll want the four drives on the same controller, and the cdrom on another.

Example: You have 6 sata ports, 4 black and 2 red. Assume the 4 black ones are an Nvidia controller, and the 2 red ones a Silicon Image controller. If you are using bios software raid, you'll have to do it this way anyhow, since raid won't span different controllers.

I'll take gas on this one. :) I realized after a while that I hadn't given much of a clue and set up my signature...again making a false assumption that it would magically appear the next time my original post was viewed. I should know better. :bang head

The board is a P5B Deluxe.

PS I enjoyed the retorts! :D

It doesn't matter which sata port you hook it up in matrix raid, check matrix sticky thread in Storage Section, there is a benchmark on different ports variations.

vulcanman09 said:
raid 0 + 1 is not raid 10
0+1 means it is srtiping and mirroring
if i am correct
raid 10 is not offered on that board
It's one of the choices that you get when you CTL-i into the Intel RAID set up while POST is running. The choices are RAID0, RAID1, RAID10 (the 0+1), RAID5 and Intel Matrix Storage.

Back