• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC6400 RAM for Intel DG965WH

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluenotebacker

I just got this board, not going to be putting the rig together for a while because I still need a few pieces, hehe. Looking for advice on RAM from anyone who may have this board.

Intel says 1.8V only, so I'm assuming RAM that says 1.8-2.1V in the description (I've been looking on Newegg) will not work. Planning to start with 1GB (2x512mb) unless I can find a helluva deal on 2GB (not spending more than about $110.)

I was looking @ this: A-DATA

because many reviewers actually say it works well with the DG965WH. Can anyone else suggest something? I honestly will not be overclocking yet, I'm a newbie to building. Thanks!

BTW- which forum would be appropriate to list my full build and ask for opinions/suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:
In general, I'd suggest you stick to value type RAM that will run at 1.8v as OCing memory will do you no good on that board.

Agreed. With the lack of OC options, the DDR2-800 won't benefit you really. DDR2-667 would work swimmingly in that board, and it's cheaper too.

I've also worked with quite a few of the DG965WHMKR boards and they are VERY picky on memory voltage.

~ Gos

Last edited:
I had been thinking that it would be best to get the fastest RAM the board could handle (pc6400) but I guess that's not necessarily true? I *dont* plan to OC my RAM or anything else really, just learning about this stuff. Is your opinion that I could get adequate performance with 1GB of 667 RAM even running Vista Ultimate?

Any decent memory of DDR533 or faster will all perform about the same on this board. Since you cannot adjust voltage, high performance OCing type RAM is not an option. So, "IF" the board allows you to adjust latencies, that will be the deciding factor in performance.

If that's the case, then I think I'll go with THIS

The goal here is solid performer on a low budget, with the ability to expand in the future with nicer components. I think all told it's a good rig for under $750 delivered.

Get the G.Skill 2GBNR 2X1 GB kit from Newegg.

I have the same Mobo and it is certified to work properly on that board. I have had no issues at all with it. Runs flawlessly. About $200

This is the PC6400 kit that G.Skill tech support said to purchase for that mobo.

Yellowbeard XMS said:
Any decent memory of DDR533 or faster will all perform about the same on this board. Since you cannot adjust voltage, high performance OCing type RAM is not an option. So, "IF" the board allows you to adjust latencies, that will be the deciding factor in performance.

I've been in the bios of the WH board quite a few times and haven't seen an option for any type of timing change functionality.

Just make sure it's 1.8v, if it's anything else, you'll have nothing but problems.

~ Gos

Back