• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

245 to 260 worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Socket eh?

I know my ram will do 260 easily @ 3-4-4-8, do you think it's worth it performance wise to drop the multiplier, and bump the fsb from 245 to 262?

If you can keep your cpu speed get a free bump in FSB....then why not? The multiplier has nothing to do with performance, it's just an overclocking tool.

Dropping the multi has no effect on performance, if you can maintain your CPU speed by increasing FSB.

Your Opty has a 12x multi, so you're currently getting 2940Mhz. If you drop the multi to x11 and up the fsb to 260 then you're only losing 80mhz.

Bench after to see if you've gained performance.

I bet losing 80mhz CPU speed will hurt more than gaining 15mhz FSB, CPU speed is king in the AMD64 world. If you can get your FSB up without losing it, why not.

If you can get that RAM to do 268 fsb then you'll have the best of both, high clock speed, and a higher FSB.

You say it does 260 easily, so with a voltage bump you should be able to hit 268 if not higher, although then it may be your CPU holding you back. Loosen timings if you must, but check bandwidth in Memtest86 to see if the higher fsb but looser timings results in better or worse bandwidth.

If I was you I would be frustrated running that Opty so close to 3Ghz but not hitting it, push it a bit more ;)

Socket eh? said:
I know my ram will do 260 easily @ 3-4-4-8, do you think it's worth it performance wise to drop the multiplier, and bump the fsb from 245 to 262?

Wait, do you mean to drop the multiplier on the RAM and overclock more? If yes, then...YES!!:bday:

EDIT: Nvm, I see you mean your processor multiplier, I'd still say do it though.

Back