• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well my ram is hosed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Yup, after 2 years of faithful outstading performance, my ram ( in sig) took a dive into the abyss :mad:

Boot up earlier today to find my OS got all screwy, I reboot and it got worse. I fall back to stock speeds and still the same problem. So I decided to do a format since my main os was done. I have a dual boot: XP64 as the main os and reg XP Pro as secondary. I use the xp pro for my work and printer since there are no driver support for xp64

Anyways i do a format to 64 and just when it gets to the finsh i get a dam memory dump bsod. I'm like wtf?!. Try again with the same. Shut off pc, yank the sticks and swap 'em around. Restart the installation and BAM! another dump . I shut the rig down and yank out the sticks, find my 1- 256mb of samsung pc3200 and slap it in. The install went without a hitch .

Been wanting to RMA the corsair for some time anyways, but I did'nt have a back-up rig since the main will be down. I managed to build a s775 only for the video card to get toasted So i found myself with a back-up rig with no video card, and the main with screwed ram. Ain't life grand? Lucky i found that pos samsung ram which i'm using now @ stock speed in the main until i get the RMA-ed corsair back.

I wonder if i'll get the same stuff as a return or they'll send back some new stuff? I know for a fact the XMS4400 is discontinued so i might have a chance at some new ram.....me hopes. What you guyz think?

I've never heard of quality RAM going bad. I've only experienced it with cheap generic RAM that's been poorly taken care of.

Hopefully they send you something nice :D

I Hope so. Been having problems with this ram from the start, but unfortunately it's all the ram I had and could'nt afford to replace them with something new and better. Now i guess my failure to replace them has cost me. I'm forced to use a 256meg stick of samsung PC3200 and run stock speed :cry:

Well called up Corsair's tech support this am. Spoke to a wonderful girl named Kim and within minutes I got my RMA#. Shipped out the modules with the quickness via USPS Priority with DC/Tracking number and insured. Hopefully the turn around time will be quick. I pray the replacements oc good. I'll keep you guyz posted! :)

Well, any stick of RAM has the potential to go bad regardless of how much you spent on it... It cool that you had a good RMA request experience :) It's encouraging since i've got a few sets of Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 C5's at work that need RMA'ing.

~ Gos

Gos, Corsair is top notch when it comes to RMA's. This is my 2nd time and no problems with the first time. I hope it goes as smooth for you as it did for me :)

*Update*

Got an email from Corsair's tech support:

"Thank you for choosing Corsair! The product you are returning is now
obsolete. Upon receiving your return, we will test your product and
attempt to repair it. We will notify you within 24-48 hours if we are
unable to repair your product and will review alternate options at that
time.

If you have any questions please contact us at TF 888-222-4346 or
[email protected]

Returning Qty: 2
Returning Part #: CMX512-4400C25PT
RMA Number:XXXXXXX "

Looks like I might be getting some new ram :cool:

*Update*

Well I got the replacements on the way. UPS should have them here by the 7th. They gave me 2 options:

1) 2x CMX512-4000PRO (These are the ones with the purdy LED's on em, lol)

or

2) 2x CMX512-4000PT (The ones with the silver heatspreaders)

Both sets run 3-4-4-8 (DDR500) :rolleyes: , but it's all they got to offer as replacements as the 4400's i sent in are obsolete and they don't carry it anymore. So I went with the PRO's instead. Figured I can space out on the LED light show while i curse up a storm b/c the replacements are slower ram :mad:

Oh well, we'll just see how good they are. I'm not going to judge them just yet.

I'll update as usual :)

Hey Gos, you RMA that ram yet?

Ah, it's hard to read your sig. I saw in another thread you mentioned the ASUS P5N32 SLI, and I thought you had picked one up. My bad.

Volt said:
Ah, it's hard to read your sig. I saw in another thread you mentioned the ASUS P5N32 SLI, and I thought you had picked one up. My bad.

Ahh, yes, i was going to make the C2D leap, but finances took a different turn so i won't be getting that board :-/

But as for the ram I will let you know :)

man you should have told them to stuff their 1gb of slower ram and demanded 2 gb of slower ram to make up for the difference! Or you could have tried :)

IAmMoen said:
man you should have told them to stuff their 1gb of slower ram and demanded 2 gb of slower ram to make up for the difference! Or you could have tried :)
Tbh, that's what I would have tried, adamantly claiming that 1GB PC4400 is of equal value to 2GB of PC4000 :beer:

On a side note, how does the end user work with lifetime warranties? I bought my OCZ from the classifieds, I've read OCZs page on RMAs and Lifetime warranty, but it doesnt mention the end user.

They seem to say that as long as the memory is intact, and that they believe that it has not been abused, then they will RMA it.

IAmMoen said:

Yeah true, but I believe in the honesty method. If a company as big as corsair says they're out of certain speed/size of ram, then i have to take it as face value. They are, after all, replacing it tho my ram is obsolete. I'm sure they did their best. Besides, DDR1 is being phased out.

Clockwork_Apple said:
Tbh, that's what I would have tried, adamantly claiming that 1GB PC4400 is of equal value to 2GB of PC4000 :beer:

Again I believe in the honesty method.

Clockwork_Apple said:
On a side note, how does the end user work with lifetime warranties? I bought my OCZ from the classifieds, I've read OCZs page on RMAs and Lifetime warranty, but it doesnt mention the end user.

They seem to say that as long as the memory is intact, and that they believe that it has not been abused, then they will RMA it.

Well OCZ is very good @ keeping the customer happy. They will RMA the ram no questions ask, just as long as the modules haven't been physically tampered with. I believe SteveOCZ is OCZ's rep in here, why don't you pm him and ask?. Would'nt hurt to find out :)

Nebulous said:
Hey Gos, you RMA that ram yet?

Not yet, i decided to test the whole batch over again for kicks, since i wasn't the one who tested them and a used P5B-D wifi is coming into my possesion today :bday: I'll let you know what comes of it.

As for speeds, ALL of these kits are of the XMS2 DDR2-800 1gb and 2gb kits - 5-5-5-13 - i dont suspect that i'll be getting anything different.

Do you think you're going to notice a huge difference with the slower RAM in your machine?

~ Gos

Nebulous said:
<snip>
Again I believe in the honesty method.

Well OCZ is very good @ keeping the customer happy. They will RMA the ram no questions ask, just as long as the modules haven't been physically tampered with. I believe SteveOCZ is OCZ's rep in here, why don't you pm him and ask?. Would'nt hurt to find out :)
I fully agree, I was only joking. I think it's admirable that companies are so satisfied that they're offering a quality product that they offer lifetime warranties, and I wouldnt want to abuse that.

I'll PM SteveOCZ and ask him about the end user warranty :)

*Update*

Got my replacements (CMX512-4000PRO x2) and tho I'm not extremely happy I got slower ram as replacements, I am somewhat happy I do have working ram in my pc.

I left this on their tech support forums:

"Just a suggestion: Someone should update the products list on the home page. It's a bit disappointing that some products listed are either A) not available (sold out) or B) Obsolete (discontinued). In any event these older products should be available for the RMA replacements.

I understand technology has to move forward and older products ceases to be made in order for newer products to be made, but a huge company such as Corsair should have a reserve of these older products for future replacement, such as in my case.

Ppl such as myself still run somewhat older pc's (9 months old or less) that still utilizes DDR1 ram, and if I purchased a certain type of product from a company as huge as Corsair, that has an outstanding warranty policy, and my product fails, it should be replaced with the same exact product or a similar product with equal specifications, not something that is "almost as close" in specs.

Please don't take this as a negative response, this is just a mere observation of the service I received during my RMA process.

I appreciate all the help and thank you"

I had to play around with the dang timings and reformat yet again with x64 :rolleyes: Finally got it to 250x12 with 2.75v @ (ugh) 3-4-4-8 1T. So far so good. At least my pc is running again. When I have more time I'll tweak around some more to fine tune.

I may get flamed for this but here goes.
A few years ago I switched from Crucial to OCZ. Now the stick of OCZ was and still is a sweet stick of ram but within 5 months of me buying it, they ceased to make that exact stick anymore.
Okay so I go back to Crucial and buy 2 sticks of Ballistix DDR 500.
Well here it is 3 years later and they still make the same sticks.
They still make sticks for my old P3-750. That is the main reason that I stick with Crucial.:)

Just my 2 cents worth.

Back